Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
twan55

Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

Postby twan55 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi everyone! I live in Brooklyn, NY and am 47 years old. I have always loved die cast cars which- when I was a kid- meant Corgi and Corgi only. I had the Batmobile (of course) and numerous other British-made beauties, and I loved every one of them.
About three years ago, just as my son was born, I started collecting Corgis in earnest, buying (for my baby, of course) a gorgeous Batmobile and a few other items. I also started reading up on Corgi by buying books about the company's history. I also started looking around on ebay at other makers and seeing what they did. My specifics were (and still are): always 1:43 scale (while I can appreciate other scales, only 1:43 does it for me, period), all cars that I find beautiful and would love to own (were I wealthy), all cars meant for the road (i.e., no race cars-- rally cars are fine but no Formula One autos for example), and all made of metal (die cast, as opposed to plastic). With these parameters in mind, I soon discovered Politoys, and was immediately blown away by the beauty, grace and perfection of numerous 1:43 scale model cars from this company. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and soon packages started arriving to my house (much to my wife's chagrin). Another very similar company- Mebetoys- also took control of my psyche; to my mind, these two car makers exemplify everything I (personally) love about die cast cars: the cars are incredibly beautiful (both the actual cars themselves and the miniature versions), multiple things open on them, they are extremely true-to-life (they even have little Milanese license plates- are you kidding me?!?) and, well, I just find them incredible...
Which brings me to here-- and my question:
Is there a forum- either on here or on another site- wherein I can discuss my love of vintage, 1:43 scale die cast cars? A lot of the forums I see seem to revolve around more modern day versions, not so much around the vintage ones. Am I wrong? Perhaps I am missing something, but I have yet to find a site in English (I've found forums in French) where I can talk to other like-minded individuals about my particular car-collecting sub-genre.
Please let me know if there's a place (or places) out there for people like me, because I'm dying to talk about this stuff! It's very lonely sneaking my car packages into the house and never being able to talk about (or commiserate on) my newfound hobby! Indeed, should I start a sub-reddit, just for VINTAGE 1:43 car lovers? Because, again, this particular subreddit is kind of all over the place (all kinds of scales, mostly new models,etc.) and doesn't really fit the bill.
I want to talk about ONLY 1:43 Corgis, Dinkys, Mercurys, Norevs, Politoys, Mebetoys, Solidos, etc.!
Anyway, thanks people! Take care!

David MG

Re: Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

Postby David MG » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:02 am

Hi,
I suggest you start a vintage Corgi thread with some pics of your collection. Many members will reply. Tom in particular collects vintage models.
Await your posts with interest.
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:06 am

Yes, what David said. Plenty of people like the old models, so start up a thread about your own collection.

And welcome!

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:39 am

http://vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/forum/ and http://diecastrescue.myfreeforum.org/index.php are more directed toward what you want. The problem with forums dedicated to older diecasts are that they are not very active. After 40+ years, everyone has seen all of the releases and it's hard to drum up a conversation.

There are several people here who started the way you did, although this forum is still mostly fixated on newer models. I think you'll enjoy the company here when nothing is happening in those other forums. I still have about fifty Corgi myself, split evenly between old and new.

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:57 am

I for one am a fan of the various continental die cast metal makes and they do get the occasional airing on here. A sub thread for Dinky, Corgi, Spot on, Solido, Gama, Norev, Politoys, Mebetoys, Mercury, Pilen and their south american spin offs, Tekno, plus the similar Japanese models Tomica/Dandy from the 1980s would be welcome.

My collecting was revived in the early 1980s (I'm twenty+ years older than you) and consisted of mainly the above until Minichamps came along. So I am very much an advocate of these transitional diecast metal models so can talk about them quite happily. Transitional because they were a step up from Dinky and Corgi but overtaken by the 'closed' but far more accurate Minichamps etc,. I still have my very first Dinky (green Jag XK120 number 157) given to me in 1954 but the rest of my Dinky/Corgi collection got sold in 1963... :( when I had to work for a living.

Many of our younger forum members are very content with their (expensive and fragile...) resin models but as they know, and it makes them laugh, out of my 1,200+ 1:43 car collection there are only a few exceptions to my 'no resin' rule. Favourite cars which have not yet been done in diecast metal are the exceptions.

The bulk of my collection consists of road cars, GTs, Super cars and the occasional truck. Again one or two may not be strictly 1:43 (slightly smaller Mercury for one) or the odd slightly larger modern Corgi but generally speaking I adhere to the 1:43 rule. Very few white metal exist in my collection and again it's because at the time there were no decent diecast metal alternatives.

Julio (Deadcandance) is another member here with some classic diecasts.

Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here and now you know there are kindred spirits to converse with!

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 am

I'll also point out that recent member Goldfingers claims to have been a model maker for Dinky Toys during the Sixties and Seventies.

PS: Why is Corgi too common a word for this forum's search engine but Dinky is not ? I would think it would be the opposite.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:24 am

Hello and welcome!

Like David, Jamie and Ian have already told you, there are some of us in here, who like old models. I have about 200 diecasts that used to be my toys, back during the 60s and early 70s, although I'm also an avid collector of newer models.

Check the first three pages of my collection's thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=225

By the way, I still have my Batmobile. It's on page #3

GBOAC002 wrote:...A sub thread for Dinky, Corgi, Spot on, Solido, Gama, Norev, Politoys, Mebetoys, Mercury, Pilen and their south american spin offs, Tekno, plus the similar Japanese models Tomica/Dandy from the 1980s would be welcome.

That would indeed be nice! ;)

Great idea, Ian!
-Julio-

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:30 am

Hello and welcome

I can only echo the other guys comments but i will say we are a very broad church here, and we are price/scale/age agnostic.

I know and the guys have confirmed this with their replys that we have a wide ranging interest in vintage diecast so feel free to start a thread and perhaps if the interest and participation is strong then we could consider a 'Vintage diecast' sub forum.

Post away, i know you wil get a convesrsation going
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:30 pm

scalainj wrote:I know and the guys have confirmed this with their replys that we have a wide ranging interest in vintage diecast so feel free to start a thread and perhaps if the interest and participation is strong then we could consider a 'Vintage diecast' sub forum

How do we define vintage diecast? From what I know of Corgi, the good stuff only goes up to 1971 and a similar cutoff could probably be set for Dinky since they were in close competition. I don't know Politoys, Mebetoys, Mercury at all. I think it would be best defined as pre-1990 since that's when Minichamps began and I see that brand as when adult-oriented diecast came to the mass market. There is obviously some overlap for Solido/Brumm/Rio/Brooklin although I categorize even their recent offerings as "vintage" in style.

If we do start a vintage sub-forum, I personally would like to keep the Hot Wheels/Johnny Lightning 1:64 collectors out. There are many forums serving that crowd and their numbers are so great that they would drown out the rest of us. The Matchbox folk seem safe but I like the idea of sticking with 1:43 and above, and Matchbox seems to have good representation elsewhere also. We have a 1:64 forum and I think that serves us well in its current incarnation.

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:02 am

Welcome!
I have some older diecast models, mostly survivors from my childhood. There are some more recent acquisitions but they look out of plce in between my newer models. I'm considering giving them their separate display in my home, that just looks better. I keep saying that I won't buy anymore vintage stuff but it keeps finding its way to me, and I really like it.

Would love to see your collection.

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:12 am

I would suggest pre 1985 1:43 Diecast Metal defines the end of vintage model era. Bburago were probably the last of the 'toys' with their 'whizz wheels' but accurate closed body shapes and reasonable paint finishes, at least on the Ferrari road cars which they had the licence for. Like 'toys' some of the BB models were crude in their mouldings resolution of tricky addenda like wings or spoilers and paint finishing.

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:51 am

For me the real vintage stuff has metal wheels with rubber tyres, no whizzwheels. However, some earlier models were reissued with whizzwheels later...
I would be very interested in seeing a collection consisting of true vintage models, they have a real charm. Also, the variety in interests is what makes his forum so great IMO. Most people here are genuinely interested in models that are out of their own collection subject.

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:30 am

Politoys, Norev and others spoiled their later efforts with plastic whizz wheels and as Tom says the true vintage models had to have metal wheels and rubber tyres.

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 am

Tom wrote:For me the real vintage stuff has metal wheels with rubber tyres, no whizzwheels. However, some earlier models were reissued with whizzwheels later...

Metal wheels sure, but pre-war and some early post-war did not have rubber tires. While I personally draw the line at whizzwheels, I think that would leave out most of the models that the OP is interested in. I think one would have to go up to somewhere in the 1985-1990 era. Maybe we're defining the situation incorrectly. Maybe what we need to do is to make a distinction between toy cars and adult collectibles instead of vintage and modern. A modern Yat Ming or Burago fits in better with a vintage display. The problem with the adult/toy division is that people can argue which side of the line something falls on whereas a hard chronological data point is easier for everyone to understand and agree with.

Hopefully the OP will return and we can talk about what they were looking for.

twan55

Postby twan55 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:58 am

Hey guys! Some GREAT responses on here- thanks for them. I have to say, however, that I'm a little depressed, because I honestly feel as if I'm almost alone in my particular obsession. I'll expand on that in a bit...

As previously stated, I ONLY am interested in vintage, 1:43 scale (no other scale, ever) die cast model cars. But the narrowness of my interest goes even further, thereby even FURTHER alienating me from other collectors. The following are my parameters, some of which a few of you might understand, but I don't expect any of you to completely share these feelings. Anyway, here they are:

-As I said, 1:43 ONLY. Never any other scale.

-Vintage only. Not modern. Pretty much only models made between 1964-1971ish.

-Must be totally realistic- no "toy"-looking cars. For me, this means Politoys and Mebetoys- which tick every box of mine: they look exactly like the real thing, everything opens (pretty much), and there are license plates! Marklin, Mercury, and Solido also do everything right IMO- but not all the time.

-License plates are an absolute must for me. I am obsessed with seeing them- I just feel that they complete the "realism" aspect I so crave. The Italians were masters at the little, beautiful license plate sticker on the back- and I believe they were the first to include them (although I could be wrong).

-NO WHIZZWHEELS (or versions of them done by other companies using a different name- but still the same-style crap), EVER! EVER- EVER- EVER!!!!!!! I hate that plastic "fast wheel" ---- so much I cannot even get the words out to describe my fury. Corgi started it (I also could be wrong on that, but I don't think I am) and then EVERYONE FOLLOWED SUIT! Politoys, Mebetoys, Dinky-- practically every company got the "American Hot Wheels-itis" disease- and this, to me, ended, ruined, and obliterated what up until about 1970 was a near-perfect industry. It was like some kind of Goddamned collective insanity!!!! I have this rage in me against every company that did this. Yes- I get "why:" kids were allegedly losing interest in perfect scale model replicas and wanted to race little plastic pieces of --- across the floor- and all of these formerly-wonderful "grande dame" companies (Corgi, Dinky, Politoys, Mebetoys, etc.) tried to "give the public what it wanted"- but I don't care- it's no excuse! Marcel Van Cleemput has alluded to making a "colossal mistake" by infesting his theretofore beautiful cars with those satanically ugly ----stain wheels, but his admission of guilt doesn't go far enough. To me, it's like going over Van Goghs and Rembrandts with Crayola crayons- unforgivable! So yeah, I don't even look at any car that has those disgusting "wheels." This means that my collecting era- for the most part- effectively stops dead around 1970-71.

-I only collect cars I would drive: so no police, fire, ambulance, taxi, military, etc.- but also no hot rods, muscle cars, race cars, dragsters, etc. My taste is pretty much european only-- I hate American cars-- I find them hideous. Sorry- that's just me. Italian and British = perfection, French and German are great also- along with Japanese. A Buick doesn't do it for me. Indeed, the only American cars I like are ones made in the 60's for the European market (ex.- the Chevrolet Corvette Pininfarina Rondine).

-No plastic, so Norev et al.- beautiful though they are- are out.

(sigh)

So there you have it- the musings of a crazy person. My die cast predilection(s) are so narrow that I'm basically a party of one. I just find the models that check every box to be unparalleled in their beauty-- literally, 1:43 scale vintage die cast perfection. From what I've seen, Politoys did it best. In their heyday they made models that were so gorgeous that I can't even believe they were ostensibly toys for children. The Italians- as with their actual cars- just did it "right"...

So anyway- yeah- as someone alluded to- what I'm into is basically "dead"- there's not really all that much to talk about/discuss. I get that. I guess I'm looking for someone- anyone- who shares my love of these cars- the ones from that time period. I PROMISE you guys I'm going to upload photos of my collection- and honestly, in so doing I may just win a few converts. I have cars that are so effing beautiful that I can't imagine anyone seeing them and not being impressed.

Well, I will say that one thing is reassuring: there is a guy who has made a website that I think s the most beautiful, perfect site I have ever seen- literally, my ultimate site- one that catalogues everything I like. Here it is: http://www.aessemodels.it

This guy- Alberto Spano- speaks my language (in terms of what he's into). Of course in reality he speak Italian lol! I have spent many an hour porting text from that site into Google translate-- well worth it! I have also written to him and he has been very kind/helpful/understanding. Unfortunately, his gorgeous, perfect site has now opened up new worlds to me- and the $$$ has come flying out of my wallet and into the hands of ebay sellers in Germany, Holland, Italy and France as if there's a giant Hoover across the pond in Europe! My wife now wants to- well- let's just say she's not pleased. And it ain't gonna get better- especially after my latest purchase- a mint condition Edil! So in a way I kind of curse my friend Mr. Spano...but in all seriousness, the guy's site is just incredible. I have spent countless hours on there. I LOVE it! And what I've discovered is that yes, indeed, there are collectors like me- people into the exact same stuff; the problem is, they're all in Europe!

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. This is a great forum.

rotormotor

Postby rotormotor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 am

You sound more than a little angry about 'toy' cars to be honest, maybe a little too obsessed for my liking...and you dropped a minor cus word too...not the way we roll here but you know now.

I think you likely correct in your first sentence...my $0.02.
Lars
ImageImageImage

Jager

Postby Jager » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:33 am

Twan, a few pieces of advice.

1. Relax......they're toy cars. There are bigger issues in the world to get upset about. Go and have a drink, a smoke or something else to unwind before you post next time and tone down your language (you'll see I've edited your post above).

2. Insulting other collectors tastes won't win you a lot of friends here. Maybe your not the biggest fan of American cars, but plenty of people here are. We're all different and diversity is not a bad thing, so try considering others interests as well.

3. While I can also admire the charm of some of these older toys, have you even seen some of the newer models of the Italina cars you like.

Eg 1960's Mebetoys Ferrari P4 :

vs 2000's Redline :

Finally, if your collecting habits are upseting your wife, you need to rethink your spending habits. The simple fact is, all your precious toy us will end up being sold off on eBay if you end up divorced......there are plenty of members here who can attest to that !
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:20 am

twan55 wrote:As I said, 1:43 ONLY. Never any other scale.

I'm with you so far.

twan55 wrote:Vintage only. Not modern. Pretty much only models made between 1964-1971ish.

I like modern as well as 1964-1971, but we can still get along.

twan55 wrote:Must be totally realistic- no "toy"-looking cars. For me, this means Politoys and Mebetoys- which tick every box of mine: they look exactly like the real thing, everything opens (pretty much), and there are license plates! Marklin, Mercury, and Solido also do everything right IMO- but not all the time.

We start to part ways a bit here. Compared to modern diecast, Politoys and Mebetoys look like toys to me and they cost about the same on eBay. Opening doors, etc. even on modern models, are always a mistake in my opinion. But I definitely understand the appeal of the old models and can understand to some extent why someone would prefer them. So we're still OK.

twan55 wrote:License plates are an absolute must for me

You are beginning to scare me with your obsessions, but keep talking. Weird is interesting.

twan55 wrote:NO WHIZZWHEELS

I agree 100% and I curse Hotwheels to this day for starting the trend. Since I was a boyhood collector of Corgi, I'd also like to make known my displeasure that they went to 1:36 scale.

twan55 wrote:I only collect cars I would drive: so no police...

Whatever. You know, if you want to participate in a forum, you have to accept that other people might like something that you don't. And they might want to talk about it. Try to ignore those conversations. Maybe you'll be more successful than myself. I've put my shoe in my mouth several times on this forum by starting arguments over something I personally didn't like. Maybe having you here will be good for me. We can shout at each other over things that are important only to us. I assume that you won't take it personally. I promise that I won't.

twan55 wrote:So there you have it- the musings of a crazy person. My die cast predilection(s) are so narrow that I'm basically a party of one.

So listen. Do you want to join or not? We said that we would be interested to talk about these models. We said that we may create a special sub-forum in your honor. Do you want to sit there all alone with your thumb up your butt, thinking of more reasons why you can't join? Or do you want to take a chance and share your obsessions with people who have similar but not exact ones as yourself? I've been on the web a long time and have seen many diecast forums, modern and vintage. You're not going to get a better offer. You definitely won't find an English speaking forum willing to discuss vintage models that is as active as this one, nor as tolerant of difficult fetishes.

No more discussion. Join in or goodbye. Any more posts like that last one and people will start to dislike you.

David MG

Postby David MG » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:26 am

Baxter is a new member and does not speak for all members.
As Andy (Scalainj) said we are a broad church and enjoy discussion. Your collecting parameters may be narrow but we are interested to see your collection and hear your points of view.
Only yesterday I received a Corgi Bedford car transporter to display some of my 'modern' models on.
Cheers,
David

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:28 am

David MG wrote:Baxter is a new member and does not speak for all members.

Been a member since 2009 but would readily acknowledge that I'm not a representative for the group.

PS: He's from Brooklyn. He's probably not unfamiliar with a little straight talk.

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:45 am

As mentioned above some of us have been round long enough to appreciate the rightness of the makes you like and agree completely about things like plastic Norevs, Whizzwheels and the like. When I visit toy fairs my eye is always on the lookout for European 'continental' diecast but I just cannot afford mint Edil so can understand why your wife goes nuts on those.

Once you post a few pics of your collection it will help newer - read younger! - guys will see just what your obsession is about. As it happens and even though I'm British I enjoy some American cars and sometimes find the occasional choice buy. Franklin Mint did a few 1:43 and a pale blue Lincoln Continental caught my eye and reminded me very much of a late 60s type model complete with it's opening doors.

I will certainly check out the Italian website.

Somewhere in my possessions I also have a book written by a Scandinavian author solely about 1:43 diecast continental models listing everything up to the early 1970s. There are very few photos in it but the listings have been invaluable to me in my searches.
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

David MG

Postby David MG » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:45 am

Sorry Baxter, my sincere apologies, your new avatar confused me (not a difficult task).
Cheers,
David

Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:50 am

This is quite a varied bunch, with varied interests and generally nice manners including looking at and commenting on other people's collections. Just read a few of the collection threads and see what you like. As said, it might be tough to find a community that's both active and that caters to your interests 100%. From my experience (I've been collecting actively and visiting swapmeets since 1985) interest in vintage is waning somewhat and most collectors of old stuff are not young themselves, and therefore less computer literate.

rotormotor

Postby rotormotor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:22 am

Ian (Jager) covered it nicely I think.
I have a few vintage 70's castings myself..they have charm in spades and openings 1/40 though ;) I have varied marques, I love American cars mostly from the 1950-60 tanks..got me some 'o' those too.

Heck they are toys man, just colurful toys..likely like alot of us you have no immediate friends/family at hand who give a stuff about the passion for collecting these pricey lumps...hence why forums or clubs are important to share the passion.

You seem quite an interesting chap , pretty passionate, with a great command of the english language..hope you stick around and be part of all this.

Lars
Lars
ImageImageImage

Return to “Welcome”