Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
Baxter

Re: Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

Post by Baxter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:53 am

David MG wrote:Sorry Baxter, my sincere apologies, your new avatar confused me (not a difficult task).
No need. I'm aware that I often speak more frankly than most and I don't take offense at being corrected.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 am

That website is interesting and covers more than your 64-71 period. I can also recommend Carmodel.net based in Italy which has an encyclopedia area of models for reference which can be searched by scale and make. It's not exhaustive as far as colour variations go but is helpful nonetheless.

When I have a few minutes I shall run through the database of my own collection which has several 64-71 GT road cars from Politoys, Mebetoys, Solido, etc,. and post a few images.
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:07 am

twan55 wrote:And what I've discovered is that yes, indeed, there are collectors like me- people into the exact same stuff; the problem is, they're all in Europe!
This is the lament of every 1:43 collector in the US, regardless of what era of collecting they enjoy. Although I think that the Japanese have long been ahead of the Europeans in their enthusiasm, the language barrier tends to hide much of that from us.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:54 am

Some of my vintage diecast. As can be seen, these are my boyhood models in original condition. They were the gateway into my 1:43 collecting today.

Another comparison of old & new. A recent Minichamps and an old Joal, which I'm fairly sure was ripped off from the Corgi casting.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks for the responses fellas!

Ok- a couple've things by way of clarity:

1) I was NOT trying to insult collectors of other styles/genres/makes etc. I hate most (not all) American cars but I have NO problem with anyone else liking them- they're just not MY particular thing.

2) Sorry for the curse words- I didn't realize it was a "clean" forum. I swear when I'm angry but I can also hold back and be less vulgar.

3) Regarding # 2's point: I am angry (sort of- although if you met me you would never know it since I'm totally nice in person). Here's why: I feel like Whizzwheels destroyed, like, 75% of my hobby. I'm not kidding- it was like I loved classic art and then all of a sudden ALL painters started putting horns and black teeth and scars on any and all works- all the time, as a rule-- like every painter that made great art now adorned each piece of theirs with some hideous doodles- and they ALL did it, beginning in a certain year-- and that was that as far as classic painting went. My heart weeps for all of the Corgis, Politoys, Mebetoys, Marklins, Dinky's- etc.- ruined RUINED RUINED by those accursed pieces of- well- crap!!!! Ugghhhh!!!! I don't know if this makes any sense to some of you- but my point is that the more I get to LOVE 1:43 die cast vintage cars from Europe, the more astounded- in a really, really BAD way- I am about this. I just literally cannot believe it-- and my post last night reflected my inner rage on this issue. I've seen car after car after car after car RUINED with this horrible blight-- like a gorgeous tree infested with termites.

I would LOVE to discuss the how's and why's of this further-- and I guess I felt like I had no where to do so. Now I know I can-- here! And my anger has subsided some knowing that there are at least one or two other souls who agree with me! Yay!

Also, further to this point: I have felt bottled up because of my particular affliction and yet NOWHERE to discuss it! Even here isn't ideal (sorry), as very few of you are really "into" what gets me going- what makes me become ten-years-old again. When a gorgeous, mint-condition gold-colored Mebetoys Maserati Mistral from 1969 rolls into my hand from the bubble wrap- when I smell the musty smell from the box and perhaps am even lucky enough to view an old catalogue falling out of the vintage package- I become that kid who smelled old, musty comic books, that kid who loved vintage toys when he was a child! Yup- I loved "old" things even when I was young!

So I guess you guys have to take into account that I have been bottled up for three years- when my addiction began in full force (I'll post soon about what started it. Hint: Corgi Batmobile)- so now I'm like a caged animal that's just been released!

I'll ease up- I promise! I'm already less "angry" for having found this forum!

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:41 am

The definition of 'toy' certainly eased slightly as early as 1956 when Corgi Toys introduced interiors and windows. That realism was sometimes let down by brash bright plastic or crude interiors, working suspension, the occasional 'diamond' headlight and spun flat aluminium wheels but castings were generally good and paint finish a step up from contemporary English Dinky Toys. French Dinky meanwhile were also increasing their accuracy of outline and castings. Printed card boxes with bright attractive colours still heavily defined the 'toy' aspect. My last original Corgi Toys bought from my local Gloucestershire toyshop in the late 1960s were the MGB GT along with a Ferrari 250 LM and the Lotus Elan S1. As I've previously mentioned my original collection was sold off in 1963 and occasionally regretted ever since.

It was 1972 when I discovered a shop in Croydon sited on the outskirts of London England. In their window were the Solido Yellow Lamborghini Miura, a deep red Maserati Mistral, and deep red Ferrari Daytona. Keeping them company was a blue Politoys Lamborghini 350GT. At around three British pounds each I did hesitate slightly but that reluctance was overcome very easily by their sheer attractiveness. Those few beauties remained the kernel of my present collection but were carefully tucked away ready for the revival of my full on collecting.

That was aided with the discovery of St Martins Models in St Martins Lane, London in 1984. Gama and Schabak were on their shelves and suddenly the desirable and easily affordable Paul's Model Art arrived on the scene. My collecting took off with many new additions of more PMA but less cars with opening features. Toy Fairs or Swapmeets as they were sometimes known became a happy hunting ground.

St Martins found they could do well with Brooklin and Western Models, SMTS white metal models and kits. Provence Moulage Resin kits (too flimsy) arrived but then as now along with white metal all were dearer than what I was prepared to pay. Besides PMA had it all at that time. Accuracy, constant flow of new models, well finished, diecast metal, sensible packaging and prices.

'Model Auto Review' and 'Collectors Gazette' became the 'must have' publications for news of swapmeets, retailers adverts and classified ads all eagerly scanned for new arrivals. Those continental models were usually available at cheaper prices because they were 'foreign' and less well known than Dinky Toys.

Somewhere between 1968 and 1980 the nice Mebetoys and Politoys Export series with their opening doors, boots, bonnets etc were probably the epitomy of the 'transitional' 1:43 diecast. They were also using 'window' boxes and sponge packing within the boxes to avoid damage to paintwork etc. Various other makers were also on the scene like Box, Bang, Best attempting to emulate Politoys, Mebetoys, Mercury but lacking the precision of the latter.

So yes, the transitional diecasts are still a very important part of my collection and do not get ignored in the search for new additions.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Wow what a wonderful post. You see to me, Politoys at it's best was the greatest die-cast car maker ever, although Mebetoys was damn close. I have about three Politoys cars that I find just absolutely note perfect. A couple of Mebetoys cars in my collection are stunning, too. And now I'm starting to get into Mercury. God forbid I find those as good as Politoys; if that happens, I'll be a divorced dad (meaning: my wife will ____ing kill me!). Soldido also makes gorgeous stuff- the only thing about their cars (and Corgi as well) is that most of the time the models lack the "4 openings" (2 doors, trunk, hood) found standard on Politoys and Mebetoys. We'll see-- a Mercury and a Solido are on the way lol...

As a child the only name that mattered was Corgi. Corgi, to me, was die-cast cars. I loved their offerings so much I can't even tell you; the Batmobile was the greatest toy I'd ever owned, by far.

When I was a kid, I suppose the ultra-realism kick that I currently have wasn't in full-sway. Or, put another way: I had no idea about Politoys and Mebetoys so Corgi was my only frame of reference. However- and this is interesting- I do remember not liking the whole "Whizzwheels" phenomenon. Did it drive me out of my mind and raise my blood pressure back then? No- but I thought the cars that had them were ugly. I was one of those kids who liked realism and disdained "hot-rod"-ish, garish, ugly "toys for boys." And again: I generally reviled American toys and loved European ones. The only thing I loved (kid-wise) that came out of this country was comics-- now that was a wonderful American art form! But as for cars-- I loved MGs, Triumphs, Aston martins, Alfa Romeos and Volkswagens, not Chevys or Buicks. I just always found- and still find- MOST (but not all) US made cars to be too big, too garish, too lacking in sophistication and soul. European cars- Volvos, Saabs, Audis, Maseratis, etc.- just "spoke" to me-- even when I was ten years old. I appreciate some American cars (I think Jeeps are pretty cool), but put it this way: I wouldn't buy one. And so it was- and is- with 1:43 die cast vehicles: European (or maybe Japanese) or bust.

Again: I have NO problem with others thinking totally differently!!! This is just one of MY particular quirks! I also love Judo and British soccer- so I tend to go against the "American" grain so to speak. I guess I'm one of those "reverse" snobs lol...

So yeah- even as a kid- the Corgi Routemaster London transport double decker bus (for example) was one of my favorite models-- I loved the advertising on the side of the bus, the fact that it was so unique (so exotic, so British)...I always loved that type of stuff- as opposed to some horrible, souped-up muscle/monster hot rod car with flames and a skull on it. I guess you could say that I was a refined kid- or at least one with continental (European) tastes. I was one who appreciated old stuff, historical stuff, things from other places (like the UK, France, Germany, or any of the Eastern Bloc nations). Whizzwheels definitely weren't my thing; even then, I never liked "ugly." And even then, I could tell that somehow my country was to blame- and it was. Those execrable things were 100% American-influenced. They came from Hot Wheels- which couldn't be more American if it tried.

(Btw I don't "hate" America- I just hate some of the terrible stylistic aspects of my country. Loud, obnoxious, fast, hard-charging, in-your-face-- those are American traits that spilled over into some of the things I loved, and ruined them)

Anyway-- back to "Whizzwheels"-- I would love to talk to some design person- one who actually worked at Corgi or Politoys or Marklin or wherever-- and ask what he or she was thinking when his or her firm made the switch to "fast wheels." For example-- why they never thought to make those hideous monstrosities at least look a bit nicer. How anyone could look at a beautifully crafted, perfect-in-every-detail 1:43 scale die cast car model car and say "ok- that's about right- now let's put some Whizzwheels on it!" without thinking "hang on a minute-- these wheels ruin everything." I mean they completely change the look of the car! A car which used to look beautiful- like the real thing-- now appears as a toy-- and not even a very nice-looking one at that!

I want the full story-- there must have been resistance from at least some of the people who worked at those venerable car makers...for example, Solido I believe didn't go to "fast wheels"- which would make sense given French intransigence, French aesthetic standards and French unwillingness to just blindly follow the (alleged) dictates of the market, style and propriety be damned. But all in all, pretty much everyone ruined their once-great offerings with those dreaded little horrors-- and I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when some designer at one of those great model-makers said "this is an awful idea, one which will effectively end our reign as a maker of beautiful vehicles. Henceforth we will be dispensing American-looking Hot Wheels-style garbage, a trend which will ultimately lead to our downfall." Because almost none of them survived anyway; it's not as if the changeover to 'Whizzwheels" made the companies profitable or anything.

My God, what we collectors could have had had the industry never made this horrendously shortsighted decision- en masse (like lemmings, or like sheep going to the slaughter). Instead we have a situation whereby guys like me simply scroll, scroll, scroll down page after page- through the execrable plastic trash wheels- until I finally land on something I would actually think of owning. Such a shame.

Btw- can anyone give me advice on how best to photograph my cars? Every time I try (using my iPhone) the pics don't come out that nice. Thoughts?
Last edited by twan55 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Well, they were toys. And when one maker has a gimmick ("look, mine goes faster and further") that increases sales then the others would be stupid not to join in. I'm pretty sure that some of the other design decisions that increased play value adversely affected design and accuracy (e.g, the Corgi Driving School VW Beetle). When I was a kid, I bought the models nevertheless though I appreciated that they were less accurate. Now I prefer the earlier models too, but I don't hate any of the late ones- they were products of their time.

And yes, Solido did join in on the speedwheels craze.

I like the plastic Norevs too, they're very nicely crafted and plastic allowed lots of detail diecast didn't. Also, they had nice wheels and number plates and they were real cars.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Ok so even Solido wasn't immune to the "Whizzwheels"-curse! I'm almost positive that there was a company that resisted-- I just can't think of who it was (it's definitely not Solido lol)...I'll try and find out who-- I could swear I recall some company forging ahead and never doing fast-wheels...but maybe I just dreamt it...

Incredible that not one maker didn't go against the grain and not give in. So sad...

And yes, they were toys- but they weren't- if you get my drift. To me, these models-- like, say, a gorgeous Politoys Lambroghini:

...were clearly not made for jumping off ramps or bashing into other cars in a destruction derby. But perhaps I'm being naive...

I just feel like the cars that I loved were made for the kind of kid who wanted to collect and display them- not "play" with them. But I could be wrong...

Oh and btw- I am NOT against Norevs- in fact I often think they appear to be some of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen- I just don't "collect" plastic cars- I'm a die-cast guy. But I would actually like to see and feel a Norev, because if I was ever to make an exception it would be for them. They do indeed "check every box" of mine-- except that they're not metal. The die cast cars just have such "heft"-- a person once remarked about the Politoys Ferrari:

...that, holding it, one felt more like they were holding an "ingot" than a toy car. But yeah, those Norevs look great...
Last edited by twan55 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:08 pm

That blue 350GT has had silver paint applied by someone along the way and not at the factory. I see the badge is painted in and window surrounds have also been silver painted since leaving the factory. I tend to ignore 'improved' models like that which might have the box but are now no longer original - what we collectors call code 2. I've got both blue and silver 350GT. Your moulded 'wire' wheels are also different to my original and yours may have come from something else - my guess it was a Politoys Alfa Romeo.

Code 1 is original as it left the factory, Code 2 is additional detail painted in by private owner, and Code 3 is a total repaint and customisation in sometimes incorrect colour.

In my dim and distant pre-teen years it was very tempting to 'touch in' door handles, tail lights, badges etc,. but since I started my current collection no enamel paint or brushes have been anywhere near them. Careful close examination at time of purchase has meant my models are all original even if they don't always have boxes.

On my Red/matt black Politoys Jarama I switched out some crappy plastic one piece wheels for a set of correct moulded metal wheels with rubber tyres from a trashed Politoys Espada. Totally transforms the model to 'Export' spec. I also have the silver/matt black Jarama which also got the "Export" treatment.
They only ever did Jarama with one piece plastic wheels which coincided with 'whizz wheels' fad.

Mebetoys company and trade mark was later owned by the dreaded US Hot Wheels company - the logo being moulded on the baseplate.

I once mistakenly bought a diecast metal Italian OM truck and trailer car transporter only to find it was 1:45 not 1:43 so fractionally too small take 1:43 scale cars. It was hugely expensive but I was able to quickly sell it on at no loss. Mercury were not consistent with their car scales....

Norev did diecast 1:43 metal cars like the Alfa Romeo Montreal or DeTomaso Pantera much superior to the plastic ranges.

Look out for some nice Pilen diecast metal models, especially the Monteverdi Hai which has moulded metal wires. Be careful of repaints in colours never put out by the factory. Road car Hai was released by Pilen in Metallic blue and metallic gold. After some of these Italian companies went out of business moulds got transferred to places like Mexico and the USSR so look familiar but with new brand names and awful colours, sometimes cheapened construction or poorly finished. I usually ignore these poor remakes.

Their Miura is let down by chromed wheels and external mould marks so make sure you ask plenty of questions before buying on ebay.

I will also say I consider myself lucky being older that I was able to totally ignore anything with whizz wheels (with the exception of the above Jarama where there was no alternative!)
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Holy Moly it looks like I did come to the right place! Lordy lordy- final, the ability to converse with a person (and people) that speak my language (and in your case GBOAC002- a lot better than I do)!

Ok, first off: that Lambroghini isn't mine- I pulled that picture off the internet by way of example. Neither photo is of one of my cars. However- bro- now, I am absolutely DYING to have you look at my collection and tell me which ones are repaints, fakes, you-got-ripped-off, etc. I jumped into this blind and- like any other fool- have certainly been taken to the cleaners- and likely multiple times.

Any ideas on how best to shoot hi-def pictures of my cars? Because once I get some info on that I will duly upload every car I have! I have one car- a Politoys Autobianchi Primula- that even I think is a repaint! In fact I bought the same car in a different (what I think is original) shade of blue- just because I wanted to compare the two! God I hate that people rip people off- that there are liars/scammers/con-men out there-- but there are, and the sooner I realize it the better. I am pretty naive when it comes to this stuff- I never even knew about fakes until I went on the Corgi Batmobile website (http://www.batmobile.free.fr/English/Intro.htm) and the guy talked/warned about scams! That was my first introduction into 1:43 fraud- but it doesn't mean I haven't been getting ripped off in the ensuing years since my first (Corgi Batmobile) purchase! Wow- now I'm really interested in what I actually have...

Btw- I just added the crown jewel to my collection: a Mint condition Edil Alfa Romeo Sprint GT. It cost a ton-- I have never done anything like that in the three years I've been collecting- but after finally seeing one available-- in basically perfect condition, with box, in a beautiful color-- I just had to take the plunge. Anyway, I opened it today and noticed that the headlights are different-- the one on the passenger side is brilliant, whilst the one on the driver's side is completely dull and dark in the center (the one on the passenger side has no "middle" to speak of). Basically, it appears to be a different stone-- as in: the stone on the driver's side fell out and was replaced by the one that's in there now.

Otherwise, everything else looks great-- but this different-lights-thing has me suspicious...

Anyway- again- I promise I will post pics of every car I have, soon. You are a wealth of knowledge- and are exactly whom I should be talking to.

Thanks!

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:38 am

twan55 wrote:Btw- can anyone give me advice on how best to photograph my cars?
http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1574

My interest in vintage cars doesn't often extend beyond 1971 and Corgi. I do collect older cast iron, rubber, tin and diecast models going back further than the British heyday. The cutoff is primarily because I discovered girls and 1:1 cars. I didn't come back to diecast until 1990, when Minichamps made realistic models affordable. If more 1:43 looked like your Code 2 Lamborghini, I may have started again earlier, but you usually had to pay hundreds for white metal and often build them yourself.

So I speak mainly of Corgi and some Dinky. While I share your distaste for Whizzwheels, you may be ascribing the change to the wrong culprit. Whizzwheels began in 1969 with the "red dot" version. They weren't the most attractive wheels, but they weren't much worse than the flat disc wheels of earlier. Corgi's wheels were not accurate or realistic to start with. The wire wheels were very nice, but you can't put them on everything. The later plastic Whizzwheels were atrocious, but there was something more nefarious happening by that point.

You were born at the end of the Corgi era. For an American boy in 1968, Corgi's catalog was a bit of a drag. What the heck is a Bedford truck? Morris what? Rover? Marcos? Any foreign car that was not a sports car was a rarity on American roads. I don't think I saw an actual Land Rover until the 1990s but every other entry in the Corgi catalog was based off one. There weren't a lot of cars that a boy could relate to. America was a big market for Corgi so they had some American cars and sports cars, but those were more expensive than a Renault Floride. Corgi started with the gimmick cars and those did phenomenally well. So they headed toward more cars from TV and movies and away from realism. We began getting more cars with stickers and "mod" paint jobs. Then Hot Wheels showed up. They had American cars, and they were the hot rod muscle cars that every red-blooded American boy wanted. You may not feel that strongly about American cars but you matured in the era when those cars were at their worst. It was different in the late Sixties. The "greed is good" era of the Eighties was a big influence on your interest in flashy foreign cars.

In March of 1969, a warehouse fire destroyed a large portion of that year's stock, as well as some tooling for models. This was a harsh blow, and the timing was unfortunate because Hot Wheels had been introduced the year before and had acquired a strong following in the US. Hot Wheels were smaller, you could carry them to your friend's house more easily for play. You could buy one with a week's allowance, when it might take two or three weeks to afford a Corgi. They were fast. They were advertised on Saturday morning cartoon shows and I don't think Corgi or Dinky ever were.

So you've got competition from Hotwheels in your biggest market on both price and content, a demand for gimmicks and tie-ins, and most of your stock has been wiped out. What do you do? You turn to Asia to fulfill orders. Asia has a different esoteric design sensibility even today. The toy companies there were making their money doing knockoffs of existing molds and building a market through cutting prices. Hotwheels destroyed Matchbox, Corgi destroyed Dinky, but the the Asians destroyed Corgi. The appearance of Whizzwheels was only coincidental. That Bond Aston Martin was the first shot to the heart for the old Corgi, but your beloved Batmobile was the one that did the real damage, and the warehouse fire assured it was fatal.

Corgi had introduced the Husky line in 1964 for Woolworth. They were cheaper and smaller than the standard Corgi. If Mettoy hadn't needed to move production to Asia, Husky may have been the one to take up the fight with Hotwheels. But since they were weak all around, they decided to increase the scale to 1:36 and try to conquer a new market while rebranding Husky as Corgi Jr.

Mercury, Politoys, etc. were not in toy stores. They must have been adult collectibles so it's not surprising that they were able to resist the trends in the toy market. By the time I discovered Solido, they were was for kids and people just starting diecast collecting while Minichamps had the adult market. The Asians that killed off Corgi are now keeping the entire diecast market afloat.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:16 am

But Politoys and Mebetoys didn't resist the trends in the market; on the contrary, they fully succumbed to them.

Before 1971:

After 1971:

Jesus wept.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:41 am

Mattel bought the Mebetoys company and had their own ideas of what the 'toy' market was about but did retain moulded metal wheels and rubber tyres on some Lambos, Iso etc,. Politoys whizz wheels cheap range probably shifted high numbers of stock as toys to kids from the dies they owned and wanted to get maximum mileage from. One of our other prolific collectors on this forum has some of the South American market Politoys whose brand name escapes me for the moment.

Going back to how you were fascinated by all things foreign some of my very first Dinky Toys bought for me by my Dad in the early 1950s were of American subjects. Ford Fordor, Studebaker Land Cruiser, Cadillac Eldorado and others triggered my desire to know more. A friend's parents subscribed to 'Life' magazine which advertised not just US cars but Volvo and Saab - very exotic and influential. Ford UK even imported the 1960 Ford Galaxie so I was hooked on Americana! We as a nation were emerging from post WWII austerity so anything mechanical which was brightly coloured was welcome.

In 1958 at school in the sixth grade as an exercise in letter writing our teacher decided it was a good idea to write to American car companies and ask them to send us car brochures!!! What I got back from Ford Dearborn set off a life long pursuit and lots of revenue for the various postal offices around the world. I had two pen pals in the US - Ohio and Massachussets with whom I swapped packets of catalogues. Australia, France and Canada fellow enthusiasts also benefited from my English catalogue swaps for their countries items. Letters to car companies were very nearly always answered and great PR for them.

In various clear outs many of those early brochures are long since gone. I have maintained 30,000 others and occasionally add to them except the internet online version is now a stock answer to requests :( . In a couple of cases I've replaced some of my early disposals off eBay but it's not the same as a nice big bundle delivered by the postman at the door!

It's funny how other people's car cultures appeal to us more than their own. So it can be with models too defining us as collectors with our own specialities.

On visits to the US and Australia I have been mesmerised by the different vehicles on the roads there just as others on this forum have when they've been to Japan or travelled the UK and Europe.

Sorry to go off topic slightly but it does explain a little about my own 60+ years of insanity....
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:12 am

twan55 wrote:But Politoys and Mebetoys didn't resist the trends in the market; on the contrary, they fully succumbed to them.
Jesus wept.
Is there a specific era of automobiles that you stick to, and is that because you are limited by what your favorite manufacturers have created?

How do you feel about white-metal models, either kits or professionally built?

Are you strictly an all-original, mint-in-box kind of guy or are you open to buying restored models? Must they all be in perfect condition? Do you do any restoration yourself?

If you saw a later "whizzwheel" casting that was otherwise well done, would you consider adding wheels from another car or manufacturer?

Are you aware that you can get 1:43 license plate decals for all 50 states and many different countries?

You may be interested in this thread, which took a pair of 1980s Rio Duesenbergs and turned them into detailed miniatures.
http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10093

What are your feelings on some of the newer, but vintage-in-spirit 1:43 manufacturers like Rio, Brumm, Best, Bang, etc? They can be bought fairly cheaply and may be easier to find. These two models are from Bang and can be had for $20 to $30 which would please your family. I consider them vintage-in-spirit as they hark back to what was being produced in the 1980s. If they're not your style, what do you dislike about them? Too much detail? Do you want everything on one casting with no added pieces? We have many model collectors here, and they may be able to put you onto some less expensive alternatives that suit your tastes.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Baxter wrote:Is there a specific era of automobiles that you stick to, and is that because you are limited by what your favorite manufacturers have created?
Yes- pretty much 1964-74- although some 80s and 90s- and even some modern day- stuff I consider beautiful. I just happen to think that the cars were more beautiful back then- the BMWs, Mercedes, and Alfas- for example- were just unbelievable. I LOVE them. My problem with the newer stuff isn't the realism-- the stuff today is incredibly realistic-- it the fact that nothing opens. Doors, hoods and trunks that open are big for me-- at least one or two out of the three.
Baxter wrote:How do you feel about white-metal models, either kits or professionally built?
I don't know about that stuff. I only know (and so far am only into) ready-made stuff.
Baxter wrote:Are you strictly an all-original, mint-in-box kind of guy or are you open to buying restored models? Must they all be in perfect condition? Do you do any restoration yourself?
I am strictly an all-original guy. I am open to buying some one else's restoration (especially Corgis- I saw a Batboat that was restored to look not like the one Corgi sold but rather like the one on the 60s show and it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. I could kick myself for not buy it). If someone restored a Politoys car- and it was well-done- I would buy it (as long as it looked "Mint"- I only like Mint or near-Mint cars).
Baxter wrote:If you saw a later "whizzwheel" casting that was otherwise well done, would you consider adding wheels from another car or manufacturer?
ABSOLUTELY! I've often wondered whether or not this was possible- because I would love to do this!
Baxter wrote:Are you aware that you can get 1:43 license plate decals for all 50 states and many different countries?
No! Are you serious?!? OMG that changes EVERYTHING!!! Who? Where? How?
Baxter wrote:What are your feelings on some of the newer, but vintage-in-spirit 1:43 manufacturers like Rio, Brumm, Best, Bang, etc? They can be bought fairly cheaply and may be easier to find.
I think the newer versions of old cars are gorgeous- the only thing is I truly do only like the actual, vintage models. Something about that musty smell and knowing that the car I'm holding is from right around the time I was born gets me off. I collected comics as a kid and have always loved vintage stuff. I love antiques, old photos, old magazines, etc., etc. But 1:43 scale cars from the 60s and 70s (non-Whizzwheels lol) are an obsession.

Fantastic post- thanks for that. Btw- any tips for how best to photograph my collection?

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Quite recent, with opening features and well made- Kyosho

Modern, but oldfashioned in style - Franklin Mint, hood opens too

Schuco made superb models in the 1970s

'80s, but front doors, hod and trunk open and impressive quality- Schabak

twan55

Post by twan55 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Hey Tom-
I agree with you about Schucco-- they look beautiful, I've just never actually held one in my hand. Oh- question: I actually ordered a Marklin 1970s VW wagon last night-- it looks beautiful-- and it ticks every box of mine (1:43, vintage, die cast, opening features, European car, license plate(s), total realism). It looks like this:

Any experience with those?

It's funny guys- the more I investigate, the more I realize that there's more out there than just Politoys and Mebetoys lol. Mercury (wow), Solido (!), Schucco, Marklin, Joal(?), Auto Pilen(?), Diapet Yonezawa(?)-- and I'm sure there are others-- meaning, companies that made what I liked, how and when I liked it. Any thoughts- from any of you- on those makes (or any others)?
Last edited by twan55 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:13 pm

my two diapet mazdas...1/40.. No matter, some sellers list as 1/43 to get into a different search category :roll:

Luce rotary sedan (Rx4) and Capella coupe (Rx2)

and A fulla I know has entire Diapet rotary line up

Lars

twan55

Post by twan55 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Those Diapets are lovely-- the brownish/gold one with the Japanese license plate is the business.

1:40, eh? Hmmmm......

Haha, gateway drug-- I better stick with one scale only lest it start getting weird...

Wow, those are nice though...

Might have to check one out...

Now look what you've done! :lol:

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Last edited by Baxter on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:09 pm

I used to have one of those Märklin VWs, it's beautiful but those are actually plastic speedwheels... though very nicely made.
Another Märklin

Don't forget SpotOn. They were 1:42, but their quality was excellent (blue one is the real thing, the rest are repros)

Rare Cursor Mercedes van, opening rear door. Unfortunately repainted

Pilen from Spain

Orange Volvo is Nacoral from Spain and the rest is Tekno from Danmark

Mebetoys and Norev

Corgi and Pilen

Solido reissue by Verem

Corgi

Teknos

Some of the older Auto USSR models were beautifully made

Gama

Diapet

etc.

twan55

Post by twan55 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Wow wow wow!

A few thoughts:

-Plastic speedwheels on the Marklin?!? Really? Because if so, then all that does is tell me that speedwheel (types) didn't have to look ugly! Which begs the question: why didn't Corgi, Politoys, Mebetoys et al. simply make the #$%@&%$# speed wheels nicely?!? Make the damn things then- and advertise them as such- just don't make them hideous!!! Why oh why did they have to ruin their cars with such ugliness???

-Pilen looks incredible...

-I forgot about Tekno. Holy smokes-- those cars you showed me- particularly the Volvos- are perfection imo...

-Gama I'd heard of and want to investigate...

-SpotOn I'd never heard of (why 1:42? But anyway- that's close enough, since I'm convinced anyway that 1:43 isn't always 1:43)...

-Cursor?

-Is that Norev die cast? Either way man those look great. I'm almost tempted, plastic or no plastic...

-Verem-- Brazilian, right? Wow.

-The cars from the USSR I'm almost afraid to look into. They look beautiful and I'm almost reluctant to open that Pandora's box lol...

Thank you Tom.

Guys- this topic- vintage, die cast cars- needs its own sub forum. There are about 20 topics I'd love to discuss.

You people are fantastic. This place does have people who share my interests! And seriously-- because of that, I might be willing to see what's happening now-- currently!

Uh oh! :D :lol: :D

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Sablon was a little known Belgian brand spun off some Politoys dies produced a few 1:43 diecasts but their wheels (plastic) and tyres (rubber) melted into a blob of sticky mess! A sub brand was Jacques Chocolate which despite their name were die cast metal and further variations of the above.

If you type into your ebay search box some of the brands mentioned in this thread along with 43 and tick the 'worldwide' box you will be amazed just how many of our models are out there. e.g. joal 43, pilen 43, tekno 43, tomica 43, dandy 43, politoys 43, solido 43, verem 43, yonezawa 43 - you get the picture.

While the models aren't usually expensive high postage costs however can sometimes deter purchases from far flung parts of the world.

Going outside your 1:43 rule might be a bit irritating at times so be very sure that you are helplessly desperate to get a bigger or smaller model that you display them away from your 43s..... I know, I've been there!