Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
DeadCanDanceR

Re: Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Boy, this thread is turning out to be quite an interesting one. ;)

I can really indentify with many of your opinions and feelings, twan55. As a boy, I was an avid Corgi collector. No Dinkys, no Politoys, but Corgi! I was born in Mexico, and here, they were impossible to find, but I was fortunate enough to have parents (and family) who liked to go shopping to the United States (usually Texas and Arizona) a couple of times a year, and brought marvellous Corgi models as presents!

My all time favourite model was (and probably still is) Corgi's Green Hornet Black Beauty. I bought mine in San Antonio (Texas) in the summer of 1971, and soon after, (during the summer of 1972) it was followed by the famous Batmobile and Batboat set. James Bond's DB5 was another favourite of mine, and I've had both the old (gold) version and the newer one, (packed with great features) since about that time too. I was born in the early 60s, so my collection was just starting when Whizzwheels arrived. I never liked them, but I had no choice. Like you, I just couldn't understand those silly looking wheels! At that time, I hated Hot Wheels for being a bad influence on both Corgi and Matchbox!

Unlike yourself, I like American cars up to the 80s, and even some newer ones, and I remember when my grandmother gave me the Buick Riviera and boat set that she brought from Tucson. Unfortunately, only the Buick survived, and I had it repainted a few years ago. I also remember my first 1959 Thunderbird and 1965 Imperial convertibles. I lost both of those when I was about 8 years old, but was fortunate to buy them again some years ago. My other grandmother gave me the amazing Lincoln limousine, and it got destroyed in the early 70s by my younger brother (he was responsible for the loss of most of my old Matchbox, Schuco and Siku models). I looked for a replacement of the Lincoln for years, up until a couple of years ago when I finally found a decently priced one on eBay.

My decision to stop collecting Corgis came during the mid 70s, when they began doing those silly 1:36s. By then, I had also discovered Rio and Solido models, and I was very impressed by them. It was during my first visit to Europe, in the summer of 1978, when I bought my first six Rio models, that I stoped buying "toys" and began buying collector models.

Thanks to GoMotorBids and then to eBay, I've recently bought some old Corgis and many Dinkys too. There's still a couple of Corgi and a few Dinkys that I would love to add to my collection, although I now concentrate on much newer models by Minichamps, Ixo, etc.

If you haven't, visit the first three pages of my collection's thread. I'm sure that you'll find many models that you'll probably like. ;)

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=225

...as an example:

Alfa Romeo Giulia SS, by a Spanish company called Joal:

A rare Alfa Romeo 2600 SZ -Zagato-, by Politoys Mexico:

GBOAC002 wrote:...One of our other prolific collectors on this forum has some of the South American market Politoys whose brand name escapes me for the moment.

I think that you were talking about me, Ian! ;)

Politoys made in Mexico were marketed as Politoys too, and I'm not sure if they were ever exported to South America.

The other Mexican brand was McGregor. They did mostly vintage cars (I have them all), they were plastic, and I believe they used French molds.
-Julio-

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:47 am

Here's a pointer to a thread we had on Sabra from Israel. http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=51& ... ra#p264217
Several of those had opening features. American cars though. There was also Buby of Argentina. I only have one of those and nothing opens. Mine is a Chevy and although it's rather crude, I like it because it lead me to their upmarket Collectors Classics series that features one of my favorite auto designs, the 1957 DeSoto. No opening features on those either, sorry.

I have to disagree on the need for opening panels anyway. The fit is usually horrible and the engine or interior they highlight rarely is a work of art. At the upper end of the modern market there are exceptions like removable engine covers, and my Kyosho Ferrari Daytona is exquisite. But in general I think bad panel fit ruins a model for me.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 am

Julio (deadcandanceR) has reminded me about that brand name - McGregor! The Mexican Politoys were different colours and great quality - and hard to find in nice condition. Thanks Julio.

Another obscure make spun from old Politoy moulds was Nacoral. They had opening features and really grotesque wheels and appalling paintwork. The pursuit of Lamborghini models - especially Marzal - helped me find some of these oddball makes.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:53 am

twan55 wrote:Wow wow wow!

A few thoughts:

-Plastic speedwheels on the Marklin?!? Really? Because if so, then all that does is tell me that speedwheel (types) didn't have to look ugly! Which begs the question: why didn't Corgi, Politoys, Mebetoys et al. simply make the #$%@&%$# speed wheels nicely?!? Make the damn things then- and advertise them as such- just don't make them hideous!!! Why oh why did they have to ruin their cars with such ugliness???
Yeah, Märklin was one of the few who managed to find a style that actually fitted the cars.
twan55 wrote: -Pilen looks incredible...

-I forgot about Tekno. Holy smokes-- those cars you showed me- particularly the Volvos- are perfection imo...
Pilen made some beautiful models, panel fit was way above average and they always looked realistic. Joal was another Spanish maker who did some beautiful models. Tekno is quite expensive, but the models in my picture are reissues from the 1990s that can be picked up for affordable prices.
twan55 wrote: -Gama I'd heard of and want to investigate...

-SpotOn I'd never heard of (why 1:42? But anyway- that's close enough, since I'm convinced anyway that 1:43 isn't always 1:43)...
Gama was another maker who managed to make good looking speedwheels.
According to the SpotOn book, they chose 1:42 to make their models stand out in the toy box because of their size.
twan55 wrote: -Cursor?

-Is that Norev die cast? Either way man those look great. I'm almost tempted, plastic or no plastic...
Cursor was German. They did several amazing plastic models for VW and Audi which dealers gave away when you bought a car. Later, they made some diecast too. Very rare.

Plastic Cursor Audi 100, picture borrowed off the internet. I have one too but can't find the picture.

The Norev is plastic but their models are so crisp and accurate that I don't mind.
twan55 wrote: -Verem-- Brazilian, right? Wow.

-The cars from the USSR I'm almost afraid to look into. They look beautiful and I'm almost reluctant to open that Pandora's box lol...
Verem is French, they've reissued some Solidos. Usually I prefer the original Solidos but some of them ave become really expensive. The USSR cars are generally quite affordable and offer incredible VFM. The green Lada Niva 4x4 has full opening features, separate axles with coil suspension, working steering, rubber mudflaps. It's superb. Get one just to admire the craftsmanship.

I collect models of cars, not necessarily vintage. I started out buying vintage because I was into British cars and all those were made by Dinky, Corgi, SpotOn. Nowadays, thanks to the Chinese diecast industry I can buy more realistic and detailed models for less money. I like vintage, but I like modern stuff just as much, smetimes better. I've seen asking prices of vintage diecast drop ever since we've been inundated by cheap Chinese diecast- people tend to relace their old models with newer, more realistic ones and people who used to collect the toys of their childhood have mostly stopped collecting apparently or they've completed their collection. Why, as a collector, spend EUR 75 on a MIB Solido Alfa Junior Zagato when you can get a more realistic, nicer(?) Chinese model for as little as EUR 8? If you want as many models of the same car as you can find (which I do, for some cars) or if you prefer vintage over modern diecast that would be the only reasons to go for vintage. Me, I'm on a very limited budget and I like modern stuff too...

So now vintage diecast is an expensive choice... opening features are nice but not when the interior is a mis-shapen lump in a horrible colour with a generic steering wheel in the wrong place, or the engine is a generic blob in chromed plastic and the tradeoff is mostly ugly panel gaps that can detract from the model. Oh, and I like closed side windows.

Be glad that you don't live here in The Netherlands. Every two months there's a diecast swapmeet here with hundreds of vendors, many of whom sell vintage models. You can choose from just about every conceivable maker and models from the early 1900s to the very latest. It's very easy to get through incredible amounts of money in no time at all.
I've been considering selling all my vintage stuff that's been replaced by modern diecast. However, I've had most models over 30 years now and I don't like to part with them- they're charming. So I've decided to dedicate a separate display case to vintage models.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:14 am

Like Tom I am reluctant to let go of these models from the past. Solido and others made a good job of getting the general shape and features close enough to be recognisable. They have good paint finish and weight in the hand. Tom has nicely illustrated with the images of the old and new renditions Zagato Junior as well as showing differences between Mk1 and MkII bodies. The Solido Alfa Zagato Junior was one of my favourites in the '80s and I have gold, yellow and orange examples in my collection as well as the green modern Altaya version.

Having been a visitor to Geneva and Turin Motor Shows in the early 70s I saw the 1:1 and have the sales catalogues of the 1400cc and 1600cc versions.
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:28 am

An interesting thread - here is my to 2d’s worth:

Vintage diecast made in Japan

Tomica Dandy Nissan Silvia

Reference number: DJ02

Scale: 1:43rd

Tomica's Dandy series carried forward the tradition of supplying medium scale toy cars with opening panels set by European manufacturers in the 1960's from the early 1970's to 1993.

The quality of the Dandy series models is unsurpassed. The panels open smoothly and close with a reassuring click. Also if you turn the model upside down the panels remain closed! As well as all the opening parts illustrated the rear parcel shelf could also be opened/closed. The tyres had the reference number moulded on. How is that for detail!

Unfortunately, 1993 was the last date that Dandy's were featured in Tomica's catalogues. Some of the cars from this range are periodically released as items for collectors. These have different wheels from the original issues.

This model is one of my favourite toy cars.

Yonezawa Diapet Toyota Soarer Turbo

Reference number: H1

Scale: 1:40th

Yonezawa was a major supplier of tin plate toys during the 1950's and 1960's with many of their products being of high quality. The company takes it's name from the founder, Mr Yoshitaka Yonezawa. During tinplate toy manufacture they used the "Cherry Y Brand" trade name and released many model cars. Most Yonezawa products can be identified by the letter 'Y' inside a leaf pattern.

In 1965 die-cast model cars were introduced under the "Diapet" name. Some of these released were formally made by Cherryca Phenix. This brand being bought by Yonezawa in 1965. Most of Diapet's model cars were to an unusual scale of 1:40th. Whilst many collectors feel that Diapets lack the finesse of Tomica Dandy's they produced many types of Japanese cars in miniature that were not available anywhere else. It is rumoured that Diapet used two different individuals to make the masters. This in some way provides an explanation as to why some Diapets are decent models and others are poor renditions.

I always wondered if a manufacturer of die-cast models ever released one with a clear body. Clear bodies were provided by some plastic kit manufacturers in the USA to display the interior of a model without reverting to opening panels.

In time I came across this Diapet model. It was one from Diapet's 'H Series' and is pictured in Diapet's 1983 catalogue. The base is as one would expect but with a clear injection moulded plastic upper body structure. This body lifts off from the base giving access to the interior. The interior is 'flocked' to give a fluffy appearance to the upholstery. This method of interior decoration was also used by Politoys on some of their 500-M series models during the late 1960's. There is a nicely detailed engine and the boot area is big enough for the neat plastic golf holdall supplied. Issued in the early 1980's this model benefits from a wealth of detail which even goes down to inscriptions on the tyres side walls. On each tyre is:

"BRIDGESTONE RD 209"

This model is unique to my collection and I am unaware that any other die-cast model manufacturer released anything along these lines.

ATC Model Pet Isuzu Bellel

Reference number: 18

Scale: 1:42nd

The toy car featured was made in Japan by the Asahi Toy Company (ATC). It was issued in the early 1960's.

ATC were the official distributer in Japan for the Corgi Toys range during the late 1950's to the mid 1970’s.

Chris

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:19 am

I'nm trying to figure out how you photographed that Isuzu because I don't detect any distortion in the backdrop to show where it curves to a horizontal surface. Perfectly lit also. One of the best diecast photos in memory.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:36 am

Photo bucket as of two days ago now won't allow me to copy pic to img unless adblocker is disabled :evil:
Anyway one quick pic off my mobile phone of my Politoys Iso Grifo, Fidia and Rivolta in various colours.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:42 am

Ooooh, nice!

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:05 am

The OP isn't hyped on American cars, and I'm not hyped on 1:43 Franklin Mint because they're showing their '90s roots and all the opening panels are looser than Cher. But for opening features, there are few as nice as this 1959 Ford Galaxie Skyliner. Auction prices on 1:43 Franklin Mint have taken a huge dive, but this model will probably hold value longer because it's so unusual. A more recent model (Kyosho?) did the same for a Lexus convertible.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 am

GBOAC002 wrote:Photo bucket as of two days ago now won't allow me to copy pic to img unless adblocker is disabled :evil:
It worked for me up until earlier today but the URL for my last insert was not displayed. It didn't point out any program as the culprit and I'll have to play around a bit more. However, I was able to grab the photo by doing a right click and pulling up the View Image Info dialogue box. Under the media tab, it gives you the URL and you can copy that with another right click. This is what I use when I need to pull an image from places like Tumblr that put an empty image over the one you're trying to copy.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks for that info. I'm an Apple user and can right click but options are different.

I've copied my Franklin Mint Lincoln pic from an earlier thread. Hopefully it'll paste:

Not half as exciting as your Skyliner!

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:57 pm

GBOAC002 wrote:...
Anyway one quick pic off my mobile phone of my Politoys Iso Grifo, Fidia and Rivolta in various colours.
What a fabulous group of models, Ian! :)

Baxter wrote:The OP isn't hyped on American cars, and I'm not hyped on 1:43 Franklin Mint because they're showing their '90s roots and all the opening panels are looser than Cher. But for opening features, there are few as nice as this 1959 Ford Galaxie Skyliner. Auction prices on 1:43 Franklin Mint have taken a huge dive, but this model will probably hold value longer because it's so unusual. A more recent model (Kyosho?) did the same for a Lexus convertible.

What a great looking model! :o

I've got to get one!!! :)
-Julio-

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:38 pm

GBOAC002 wrote:Photo bucket as of two days ago now won't allow me to copy pic to img unless adblocker is disabled :evil:
Very impressive display Ian.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Baxter wrote:The OP isn't hyped on American cars, and I'm not hyped on 1:43 Franklin Mint because they're showing their '90s roots and all the opening panels are looser than Cher. But for opening features, there are few as nice as this 1959 Ford Galaxie Skyliner. Auction prices on 1:43 Franklin Mint have taken a huge dive, but this model will probably hold value longer because it's so unusual. A more recent model (Kyosho?) did the same for a Lexus convertible.

One of Franklin Mints better models and a must have for collectors like me who are still fascinated by operating features.

Thanks for the sequence pics Baxter.

Minichamps and Norev have issued models with this operating system on European cars.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:43 pm

GBOAC002 wrote:Thanks for that info. I'm an Apple user and can right click but options are different.

I've copied my Franklin Mint Lincoln pic from an earlier thread. Hopefully it'll paste:

Not half as exciting as your Skyliner!
A neat model Ian and one that has cues that remind me of the Dinky Toys version released in the mid 1960’s.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Baxter wrote:I'nm trying to figure out how you photographed that Isuzu because I don't detect any distortion in the backdrop to show where it curves to a horizontal surface. Perfectly lit also. One of the best diecast photos in memory.
Thanks Baxter for these positive comments really appreciate these. Below is an image of me in action taking a similar image to the ATC one above.

The photographic backdrop is made by RaiHing. It has a similar surface to that used for projector screens.

Here are a few other model car photos taken with this backdrop:

Mercury Alfa Romeo 1900

The toy car featured is from Mercury's 1:48th scale range. It was issued in 1955 under reference number 16.

Kemlows Cadillac Fleetmaster Sedan

This die-cast toy car was made in England by Kemlows. First released in 1947. This was one of only two cars made by Kemlows. They then went onto make railway accessories for BJ Ward. Scale around 1:48th.

Corgi Toys Standard Vanguard SIII 207M

The toy car featured is an early Corgi Toys model that was fitted with a mechanical gyro motor. It was in the range from February 1957 to 1959. Scale 1:46th.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi Tom

Here are a couple of images of my Cursor-Modell VW 411:

Range: Volkswagen Promotional

Model: VW 411 two versions made 1968 with single oval headlights and 1970 with twin headlights

Reference number: 868

Scale: 1:40th

Production dates: 1968 to 1972

Made in Germany

BACKGROUND

Cursor-Modell are a brand specialising in promotional model vehicles. From 1968 to 1974 they made plastic promotional models for VW. Recently Cursor-Modell have provided models for Mercedes-Benz featuring their Zetros truck. Models of this truck are currently available in both 1:43rd and 1:87th scales. The former are made in metal and plastic and the latter are exclusively plastic.

Chris

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Baxter wrote:The OP isn't hyped on American cars, and I'm not hyped on 1:43 Franklin Mint because they're showing their '90s roots and all the opening panels are looser than Cher.

Thats why this seller has pics all open doors :lol:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/di ... 427810.htm
Lars

twan55

Post by twan55 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:34 pm

@Chris Sweetman:

Dude: WHAT ARE THOSE?!?

OMG that Cursor is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

WOW WOW WOW!!!

Holy guacamole...

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:57 am

Chris, that Cursor VW is indeed fantastic.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:20 am

It would be interesting to know just which Cursor models are 1:43 and metal bodied.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:59 am

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:06 pm

That info says 411 is plastic and probably 1:40. Very little reference to 43 scale at all. Metal seems to relate to commercials/trucks.