Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
Chris Sweetman

Re: Hi People! I DESPERATELY hope this is the right place!

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:28 pm

GBOAC002 wrote:That info says 411 is plastic and probably 1:40. Very little reference to 43 scale at all. Metal seems to relate to commercials/trucks.
Ian - the 411 is plastic and as I mentioned above 1:40th scale. Cursor just continued where Wiking left off regarding VW promotionals. I have a Wiking 1:40th scale VW promotional and it has a similar style to this Cursor so is easy to confuse these with each other.

Regarding Cursor’s diecast metal series this started in the mid to late 1970’s and were promotionals for Mercedes-Benz. This series included cars as well as the Unimog.

Chris
Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Tom wrote:Chris, that Cursor VW is indeed fantastic.
Thanks Tom - this is a superb piece of modelling from the late 1960’s early 1970’s.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Baxter wrote:http://vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/forum/ and http://diecastrescue.myfreeforum.org/index.php are more directed toward what you want. The problem with forums dedicated to older diecasts are that they are not very active. After 40+ years, everyone has seen all of the releases and it's hard to drum up a conversation.
Largely agree here Baxter. The former is still active but they are fixated with Matchbox variations, pre-production models and fakes. Plus not much information regarding 1:43rd scale-ish models. Just followed the link to the latter and doesn’t look like it still is active as a recent post has gone unanswered.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:56 pm

twan55 wrote:@Chris Sweetman:

Dude: WHAT ARE THOSE?!?

OMG that Cursor is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

WOW WOW WOW!!!

Holy guacamole...
Hi twan55

Just a few examples from my vintage collection. Sounds like you and I share a real passion for this kind of stuff.

Thanks regarding the Cursor model but I forget to mention it was injection moulded plastic.

Chris

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Three Solido models issued in 1977. Not from Solido’s classic 100 series but nevertheless excellent models that still retained working features. These are still easy obtainable and won’t cost the earth.

The green Peugeot 504 Estate is 23C and based on an Ambulance version released in 1974. This features opening doors and tailgate. The dark wine red Lancia Beta is number 52 and has opening doors. Finally, the metallic green Mercedes-Benz 280 is number 47. This one has opening front doors and bonnet which reveals a detailed engine. The bonnet is released by pressing on the number plate. All have suspension.

Chris

twan55

Post by twan55 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:57 am

I'm hunting all three right now. They are perfect.

@Baxter: dude, where can I buy license plates for 1:43 vehicles?

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 am

The two links already provided are devoted to American plates and the second link has a familiar connection....

At one time Minichamps.de did Euro plates but I don't know if they still do. As ever, a few minutes searching on ebay might provide answers you seek.

When will we see some pics of models from your own collection?

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:50 am

When will we see some pics of models from your own collection?
x 2 :)

twan55

Post by twan55 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Hey guys! See, this is why I've needed a forum like this so desperately-- I had NO IDEA you could get 1:43 license plates! Yeah- I know- "why not check?" Well, I honestly didn't think to do it. Stupid, I know- but I just figured that there was no market for that kind of stuff. Boy was I wrong! I ordered European license plates from three different distributors! I was like a kid at Christmas!

This changes everything: now, models that I would've previously overlooked due to my insistence on license plates I can now purchase with ease! This is incredible!

Oh and as far as photographing my collection goes: incredibly, my FIL happened to have a light box that he is no longer using (he was a jeweler until last year)- so I now have a way of taking pics of my cars! It's all coming together!!!

The light box arrives next week- and when it gets here I will duly snap pics of all fifty of my models. I don't have a large collection (I only started collecting in earnest about a year ago) but I have some beautiful cars, and at least you'll all be able to see what gets me going...

I can't tell you how happy I am to have discovered this place!

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:28 am

Lighting is key in getting good pictures, so preferably find natural light for the best quality. I have to make do with artificial light and my pictures suffer as a consequence.