Hello from a sportscar fan; Southern England

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
LM24HRS

Hello from a sportscar fan; Southern England

Postby LM24HRS » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 am

As my username suggests I do have a bias towards Le Mans and have been collecting for over 10 years now. In the early days my collecting brief was to amass complete grids of the Le Mans 24 hour events I had witnessed. That would mean going back to 1982 and various early 90’s events in the interim. However I started at 1999 which was the year a small number of family and close friends ventured over the channel for my stag weekend. We all enjoyed it so much we have been going every year since. Although, due to the expense of models these days; I stopped collecting in 2010, I’m now beginning to be more selective these days.
To date I have complete grids of 2006, 2007 & 2008. All the others are somewhere near the 75% mark complete. Whether they become complete, who knows! I am lucky enough to have a dedicated “model” room where each grid can be displayed in its own Picture Pride Display wall cabinet.
I’m not one for forums to be honest but in this instance I’m very interested to hear from others where we think this hobby is going. I presume we hope our collections will increase in value? These days though I have started to question this assumption. Certainly from a Spark point of view there appears to be a select few models commanding high values whilst the run of the mill seem to diminish in value. So which ones do we collect for pleasure and those for a monetary return?
Here is an example. I have just seen a Spark Porsche 908/02 from Le Mans 1971 #28 (BP green and yellow livery) go for £91.00 on ebay. That model was released by Spark not so long ago, so what dictates the high second hand value? :?
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

grinbergs

Re: Hello from a sportscar fan; Southern England

Postby grinbergs » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

You will surely find others here that share your interests in sports cars in general and Le mans in particular. There have been threads and discussions about model cars as "investments" but I have always got the impression that most members (if any?) here do not collect for investment purposes.

(edit: also I am a collector of cheap budget models so I am probably the one with the least profitable cars on this forum :lol: )

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Hello, and welcome! ;)

It's going to be quite nice to see photos of your models and their room!
-Julio-

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:03 pm

Welcome to S143! Looking forward to seeing your coillection.

As for value, the enjoyment is the value for me and I don't really care about appreciation. However, whenever I want to sell something it hardly ever achieves what I paid for it.

David MG

Postby David MG » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:15 am

Welcome to the forum also known as debtors retreat.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:32 am

Welcome to the forum.

The grid collections must be a very impressive sight
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Alfaholic

Postby Alfaholic » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 am

Welcome - you'll fin plenty of sportscar fans here.
Martin

LM24HRS

Postby LM24HRS » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Well folks, many thanks for your "welcomes" from I see, various corners of our beautiful blue plant.

"Debtors retreat" that made me smile :)

I'm currently in the middle of having a bit of a change around in my model room with displays etc, but will, in time endeavour to learn how to post some pictures for viewing.

I certainly don't disagree with "value" being the enjoyment, there is no question of that. It would just be nice to know; when I eventually get into "pipe & slippers" mode, a modest investment might be achievable, wish full thinking perhaps! Here's to the enjoyment anyway.

Jager

Postby Jager » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:46 am

HI LM, a belated welcome to our little community. You'll find lots of Le Mans interest here, both casual and serious.

You can count me as one of the latter, with a 1,250 piece Le Mans collection. I don't have any complete grids, but average ~20 cars from every year since 1950. You might be interested in my current 2015 acquisition thread with is 100% Le Mans related : viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9768

I understand your comments about values given there are quite a few Le Mans cars that can now fetch over GBP 200. My general expeience is that's those car that finished the race generally appreciate moreover time than DNF's, unless they are exceptionally attractive or unusual cars. In addition, cars have also only been modelled by one manufacturer also increase faster in vaue than those that have been modelled by multiple manufacturers. High prices don't always equate to high quality and some of the highest prices cars are the late 60's Matra's from Bizarre released 7 - 10 years ago.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LM24HRS

Postby LM24HRS » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Ian, many thanks for the link to your 2015 acquisition tread, quite comprehensive on first inspection! I have only taken a small glance to date but can clearly see I have some reading to do. This is also what I enjoy about collecting.............I become better educated about the real ones!

rotormotor

Postby rotormotor » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Welcome Paul to the toycar forum. I have a bunch of LM cars too, not hard to guess which ones :D
Lars
ImageImageImage

Jager

Postby Jager » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:21 am

LM24HRS wrote:Ian, many thanks for the link to your 2015 acquisition tread, quite comprehensive on first inspection! I have only taken a small glance to date but can clearly see I have some reading to do. This is also what I enjoy about collecting.............I become better educated about the real ones!

Hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you get through my 2015 acquisitions and I can send you links to be 2013 & 2014 acquisitions.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Return to “Welcome”