Hello from Birmingham, Alabama

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
vrdaver

Hello from Birmingham, Alabama

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:38 am

Hi. I'm a newby to this forum. I'm an avid 1:43 collector. Originally I collected 1:18 scale models, but I ran out of room. Lol. When I started investigating smaller scales to switch my collecting to, 1:43 was the obvious choice. They can be just as detailed as the larger scale and there is greater variety in subject matter by far. I look for the most accurate representation I can afford. I also prefer die cast metal models rather than resin. So, as a result, the majority of my collection is comprised of Minichamps, Paul's Model Art, Kyosho, Ebro and IXO. However, I will take a resin model when that is the only example of the subject available. In fact, I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Mercer Cobra by Matrix. I remember that car from my father's Automobile Quarterly books as a youngster.

Speaking of subjects, I'm a huge Ferrari fan (who isn't?), but my collection isn't limited to them or even to Italians. I pretty much collect everything that appeals to me. And a lot of my collection reflects my garage from the game, Gran Turismo. I hope to share my collection with you all soon, but I'm currently building a new house and the collection is packed up awaiting moving day.

By the way, I found this forum because I had spotted a Jolly Model that looked interesting but knew nothing about them; specifically their quality. From this forum it appears they're on par with Bang, Best, Brumm and the like.

What do you guys know about White Box? Are they affiliated with IXO?

scalainj
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Birmingham, Alabama

Post by scalainj » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:06 am

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your collection once you have it unpacked

As to White Box i believe they are a Model Car World brand but others here will know more
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:09 am

Welcome. I am also a 1:18 convert. This forums existence owe itself to me looking for a place to learn about 1:43.

I think many but not all of the Whitebox models are IXO based.
Jeff
ImageImage

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:24 am

I share your preference for metal models and I too only buy resin if there is no metal alternative (much to the amusement of some of our fellow collectors...). Welcome to our forum.

White box do appear to be mainly derived from IXO/Altaya models which have been produced as publisher part works models. They are sometimes re-colours or usually identical colours to the partworks models. They are re-packaged, marketed and sold through Model Car World (MCW.de) and others. Triple 9 is another offshoot.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:34 am

Welcome to the forum vrdaver. Plenty of Ferrari fans here so you should feel right at home.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:49 am

Welcome! Yet another 1:18 convert here. We look forward to seeing your collection. Hopefully you're building a model room in the new house?

dcast

Post by dcast » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:36 am

Hi and welcome :) As a Gran Turismo player and modelcar collector, I'm looking forward to see what cars you have in your collection :)

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:42 am

Welcome. As an Italian car fan I am looking forward to seeing your collection.
Martin

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:49 am

Welcome to the forum. I'm a big fan of Gran Turismo as well.
Steve

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello and welcome! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your collection when you've moved.
-Julio-

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Welcome to the forum champ. Just like you and many else on here, I primarily switched to this scale.
I still dip my toes in the 1/18 pool on occasion however.
Lars

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Welcome to the forum, another fan of Ferrari here. :)

vrdaver

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:56 pm

dbonser wrote:Welcome! Yet another 1:18 convert here. We look forward to seeing your collection. Hopefully you're building a model room in the new house?
Actually, I live alone. So any and every room can be a model room. Lol. ;)

vrdaver

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Hey guys. The Mercer Cobra came in today. It's a beaut. However, please forgive my photo. Bad lighting.
MercerCobra.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vrdaver

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Here's some items I've picked up since having packed the rest of the collection away.
Germans&aSwede.jpg
RacingModels.jpg
SUVs&Japanese.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vrdaver

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:13 pm

MostlyItalian.jpg
Lambos.jpg
ISO_Daytona.jpg
Many of the Lambos are White Box models. Except for the lack of subtleties in the paints (primary colors anyone?), they seem not too bad :)

vrdaver

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:18 pm

rotormotor wrote:Welcome to the forum champ. Just like you and many else on here, I primarily switched to this scale.
I still dip my toes in the 1/18 pool on occasion however.
I think I only have 2 1:18 models remaining. One is a Facel Vega HK500. The other (if indeed I still have it) would be a Joef 1964 Ferrari GTO II. My Dad gave me that one and my brother gave me the Facel.

vrdaver

Post by vrdaver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Do you guys try to buy in specific colors or perhaps avoid certain colors? I try never to buy a black model. When I look at a model in black on the shelf its like a shadow or a black lump. All the details of the car are lost completely. I make exceptions though when the car is supposed to be black. For instance, a Cosworth Sierra or the UOP Shadow CanAm Racer or a John Player Special Lotus Europa. I mean... a JPS just has to be black and gold, right?

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:38 pm

I think you'll find that some folks definitely buy certain colors of cars. Here's an example: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5093

I personally like black but you are right, they don't look as good on display.

In general I think you'll find the prevailing attitude here to be to buy what you like.

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 pm

Black does get lost on the shelf, I have few but chrome details and/or red interior helps a lot.
I buy any and all colours..if it's a face-lift/upgrade or next generation of the same basic shape of car different colours suit me.
Lars

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:02 am

Welcome to S143. Looking forward to your collection thread in Collection pictures.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:08 am

Black is a last resort for me and white runs it a close second. As a Lambo and Ferrari fan I'm used to bright colours and try to stick to that. A range of fantasy colours on one off concepts/prototypes annoy me as well. I agree with you that certain liveries which are intended from the start or contrasting but colourful interiors do help sway the occasional purchase. A 1:43 Franklin Mint white '59 Caddy Eldorado with red interior was so tempting it has been my most recent buy..... It's relatively low price did help.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:15 am

Welcome to the forum , theres some nice cars in your collection , looking forward to seeing others ;)
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:49 am

Welcome to the forum, nice haul!

I am not against black models, they look OK in my display (white & glass) with proper light...
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096