Re: BoS Models

Postby David MG » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:55 am

What a pity it didn't make production.
Cheers,
David

GarageOnAWall

Postby GarageOnAWall » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:07 pm

The '74 Quattroporte is next on my long list of BoS! Incredible brand for the money :D

BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

Marcellix

Postby Marcellix » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Paulius43 wrote:Porsche 928 H50 Concept

Looks nice for 37€!

The 928 is my favourite Porsche. So yes, this one will be in my collection too :)

Marcellix

Postby Marcellix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Still surprising what they come up with... Out now (available at modelcarworld):

92 Cadillac Eldorado
http://www.modelcarworld.de/de/BoS-Mode ... c-blau.htm

91 Chevrolet Caprice (also as nyc taxi)
http://www.modelcarworld.de/de/BoS-Mode ... silber.htm

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Marcellix wrote:Still surprising what they come up with... Out now (available at modelcarworld):

It would be nice if BoS made a 94-96 Impala SS from that Caprice mold. It wouldn't take too many changes...
- Douglas

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Marcellix wrote:Still surprising what they come up with... Out now (available at modelcarworld):

It would be nice if BoS made a 94-96 Impala SS from that Caprice mold. It wouldn't take too many changes...
- Douglas

GarageOnAWall

Postby GarageOnAWall » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 am

dbonser wrote:

Douglas, that's a great idea! I'd think there's a market for this and we'd probably be the first two in line 8-)

I'd consider this '91 Gen "fender skirt' version too IF it was a higher trim level :roll:

Will most certainly get the El Dorado - BoS seems to have something exciting every other week, great time to collect 1:43 :D

BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 am

I also love that Eldorado model! Nice colour! ;)
-Julio-

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:I also love that Eldorado model! Nice colour! ;)

And a color that was offered on that car in 1992, which I always appreciate.

dcast

Postby dcast » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:01 am

That '91 Caprice is very tempting, always liked the rounded shape. I just wish there was some other colour available as the silver is pretty boring.
I do like BoS offerings, they also released Opel Corsa GSi in 1/18, nice subject for that scale :)

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 am

Wow, and I thought the Panamera was ugly :?
Steve

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:00 am

thetrooper wrote:Wow, and I thought the Panamera was ugly :?

It is a polarizing design and I'm not a fan. Chevrolet later redesigned the car with full rear wheel openings and opinion is divided whether it hurt or helped the car. Regardless of the styling, it's a respected car for several reasons.

It marked the return of the Impala SS, a full-sized muscle car for beleaguered hot rodders who could fit the family in a Camaro. Until the Mustang, all family cars could be had with the big motor and performance options, even wagons. Subsequent attempts like the Holden GTO and "Hemi" Dodge Charger didn't succeed, which makes this a cult vehicle.

It was the last rear wheel drive full-size Chevy.

It was one of the few times since the 1970s that Chevrolet seemed to actually be trying to create a desirable automobile instead of appliances.

It was a better competitor to the Ford Crown Victoria as a police car. This matters to people for reasons I don't fully understand. It think it's mostly part of the rivalry between Ford/Chevy fans. The Dodge Charger police package was a big deal.

It has big appeal to the Latino community, who seem to have bonded to the Impala brand name like hippies to the VW bus.

Its odd looks were and still are a middle finger to the sameness of modern automobile design.

The real cult vehicle among the group is the Buick Roadmaster station wagon with the Corvette LT1 motor. Big fat American pushbotton leather luxury with a motor that could get you to 80mph without wheezing.

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:31 pm

As you can probably guess by my avatar I'm a big fan of the last-gen B-bodies. IIRC, I think it may have been the last full-size body on frame car from GM as well. It also probably doesn't hurt that it was built a few miles down the road from where I live now at GM's Arlington, TX plant (didn't know that when I bought it though).

Full rear wheel openings were a much better look in my opinion. I bought a '96 SS new and had to sell it but a few years later found a used one and kept that for maybe about 4 or 5 years. I still miss it and like it better than my Chrysler 300C in some ways. Handling was much better but I'm sure that is because of a few modifications I made.

It was a very easy car to modify if you're a DIYer and I did a lot to mine (not everything on my own though) - adjustable shocks, heavier anti-roll bars front and rear, slotted brake rotors, export market headlamps w/T4 bulbs (glass lenses unlike domestic-US plastic lenses and therefore higher wattage bulbs & probably one of the most expensive mods I made to my car!), aluminum driveshaft, high-stall torque converter, 3.73 gears, upgraded PCM, cold air intake, tubular exhaust headers, electric water pump, and many 9C1 (police package) upgrades to name a few things.

Not sure about the details on the Crown Vic/Caprice rivalry but it was nice to be able to get these parts for my "civilian" car. Jake & Elwood would be pleased.

Funny you should mention the Latino community. You can still see that appeal today and, in fact, my 2nd SS became part of that community.
- Douglas

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm

I have coveted an LT1 wagon for years but the owners generally know what they have. I also look at gas prices and that usually scares me off. If I ever get around to doing the cross-country trip one more time, a big wagon would sure be nice.

Zeus

Postby Zeus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:00 pm

dcast wrote:I do like BoS offerings, they also released Opel Corsa GSi in 1/18, nice subject for that scale :)

Just wish they would do it in 1/43 aswell 8-)
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

Marcellix

Postby Marcellix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Baxter wrote:
thetrooper wrote:Wow, and I thought the Panamera was ugly :?

It is a polarizing design and I'm not a fan. Chevrolet later redesigned the car with full rear wheel openings and opinion is divided whether it hurt or helped the car. Regardless of the styling, it's a respected car for several reasons.

I think he was referring to the Porsche, not the Caprice...
Nice to read both your stories about the Caprice. Over here we only know this car as a rare sight for a taxi. Not as a car anyone would buy for normal use. So it is something exotic to see... (The square 80s caprice also was a more regular kind of taxi here)

dbonser wrote:As you can probably guess by my avatar I'm a big fan of the last-gen B-bodies. IIRC, I think it may have been the last full-size body on frame car from GM as well. It also probably doesn't hurt that it was built a few miles down the road from where I live now at GM's Arlington, TX plant (didn't know that when I bought it though).

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Marcellix wrote:I think he was referring to the Porsche, not the Caprice...

Yes, you're proibably right. Hard to keep track of the thread sometimes. I don't consider the 928 Estate or the Panamera ugly, just silly and unnecessary. The Cayenne, now that's silly, unnecessary and ugly. I see that VW group has overtaken Toyota as the biggest selling car company, they ought to be making enough money that Porsche doesn't have to cover every portion of the market. That's what took down Mercedes-Benz. And don't get me started on Rolls Royce deciding to sell a sport utility.

Opelmad

Postby Opelmad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:24 am

Opel and Vauxhall collector, Sport and more

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 am

It's a shame it's 1:18 or I would be considering it very seriously.
Steve

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:10 pm

thetrooper wrote:

Just think how happy we will be when we all have 3D printers and can download the plans from the company and reproduce them in any size we want!

Marcellix

Postby Marcellix » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:34 pm

Baxter wrote:
thetrooper wrote:

Just think how happy we will be when we all have 3D printers and can download the plans from the company and reproduce them in any size we want!

That would be great. And when we don't want them anymore, don't have to sell them, just recycle...
(And, as with music and books, there will be all kinds of illegal file sharing, and no one will buy normal model cars anymore)

dcast

Postby dcast » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:55 am

Marcellix wrote:
Baxter wrote:
thetrooper wrote:

That would be great. And when we don't want them anymore, don't have to sell them, just recycle...
(And, as with music and books, there will be all kinds of illegal file sharing, and no one will buy normal model cars anymore)

3D printing sure would open interesting possibilities, like there would be virtual car builder with options in a website, you could select rims, bodykits, left or right hand drive and wiper direction, certain country specific options, for example VW Golf Mk1 / VW Rabbit and pretty much all 70's - 80's cars which had those safety bumpers & headlights in US, headlight washers, mudflaps, trimlines, etc. details and then print it :)
I guess 3D printers can also do different colours so you could also choose the colour for exterior and interior. Or then just paint them, maybe metallic paints would require painting anyway and to get the glossy clearcoat finish.

Paulius43

Postby Paulius43 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:41 am

Fresh - Ford Probe (1993)

I guess my memory fails, but I see kind of weird all the rear end (side view)
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Marcellix

Postby Marcellix » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Paulius43 wrote:Fresh - Ford Probe (1993)

I guess my memory fails, but I see kind of weird all the rear end (side view)

Yes, doesn't even look like the real thing. Not at all...

Return to “The 6:00 News”