2015 Minichamps

News, Rumors and Gossip
Jager

2015 Minichamps

Post by Jager » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40 am

Not a good start to the year for Minichamps. Quoted from the Raceland newsletter :
There seems to be no prospect for an end of
bad news about the German model brand!

We had just finished our update of new 2015
Minichamps prices when today a simple note
dropped in from Minichamps that there will
be another considerable increase in prices
from March 1st. The latest one was just three
weeks ago!

To argue with the poor exchange rate of the
Euro to the US-Dollar is a feeble excuse as
there was hardly any change since the Toy
Fair when the 2015 price lists were handed
out.

We are quite fed up with this kind of price
and information policy and will start next
week to withdraw all Minichamps models
from our website which are still pending as
there is no way of quoting a reliable price
for your pre-order. Maybe this will even lead
to a situation where we cannot offer any
pre-order service for Minichamps models in
future anymore. We will keep you informed.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

danny

Re: 2015 Minichamps

Post by danny » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:26 am

minichamps is not the only one with a major price increase. TSM price is from 70 to 80 euro. These to brands should reconsider their company policy. Their models are dumped on the market a couple of month after the release. If i want a minichamps or TSM, i wait a while and buy them for half of the Original Retail price.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:50 am

This is exactly what I said to the sales chap in StMartins Models when he told me of this 1st of March price rise. We collectors will now wait until the retailers of Minichamps models will hold a sale and buy then!

When I looked at the price ticket of £60 for a 1:43 Smart car last week in the shop I just said No Way!! I believe the retailers like DCL/GPL are as anxious about this move as we collectors are. After all a 1:43 is a 'nice to have' not an essential to life's existence and the sooner that the manufacturers realise that when sales fall off a cliff it'll be too late for everyone.

zimbo

Post by zimbo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:01 am

Is this going to slowly be the demise of diecast collecting?

I mean I personally have cut back a tremendous amount since 2013ish firstly and most importantly because of my first child being born and secondly because I thought prices were getting a little bit too rich for my poor wallet and the prices seem to be ever increasing sadly and now my additions seem to be less and less and less, despite the fact that there are SO many that I would dearly love to add to my collection I just cant afford to buy at these inflated prices and I do try to wait and see if I can find any later on down the line and reduced prices but even these are hard to come by.

So I am now only to going to try get MUST haves!! and quality made models which I think are worth their prices asked.

No wonder I seem to be buying a lot more hot wheels and matchbox 1:64s which are a lot more affordable and quite charming and I might try and delve into other 1:64 makers to see what their products are like, like Greenlight or Johnny Lightning or AW etc etc as some that Julio has posted over the last year ahve looked great for their size. So we'll see how this goes :?
Alistair

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:12 am

Essentially as we know it yes, the diecast hobbt is dying on it's feet. The future is resin (for now)

Why buy MC at £60 when you can have Make Up at £90 - £120
Or perhaps more pertinant Spark which in my opinion make much better albeit resin models are now cheaper than MC.

But then again MC lost the way a while back by cost cutting, lack of detail, reissues of old molds - all signs of a company struggling for cash flow to my mind
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 am

If more and more retailers do the same I'm sure the manufacturers will take notice. I would dearly love all the DTM models released. I was so close to doing this and then the prices went nuts and I couldn't afford them any longer and it was back to searching for sales and bargains on Ebay.
Steve

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:50 am

scalainj wrote:Essentially as we know it yes, the diecast hobbt is dying on it's feet. The future is resin (for now)

Why buy MC at £60 when you can have Make Up at £90 - £120
Or perhaps more pertinant Spark which in my opinion make much better albeit resin models are now cheaper than MC.

But then again MC lost the way a while back by cost cutting, lack of detail, reissues of old molds - all signs of a company struggling for cash flow to my mind
Well they wont be getting any cash flowing from me :twisted:
Cheers,
David

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 am

I haven't bought a Minichamps model for a while. Even the three Le Mans Porsche 934's they released late last year I deliberately ignored because Spark will do them better and cheaper at some point in the future. Back when Minichamps were cheaper, I might have bought their versions as a stop gap measure, then sold them on when the Spark was released, but its just not practical to do that any more at their current prices.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am

Dog chasing its tail.
Collectors cry out for more detail, getting that detail means price goes up. Collectors say if I am paying this much now, I expect more detail. Before you know it you have $100 1:43's. The product is better but the market price has shifted. And it has shifted to the point where there are less and less buyers. That means the price goes up again. And on and on.
The scourge of higher detail has already almost wiped out 1:24 and has put 1:18 if not on its back, at least on its knees. Not saying its bad to have better models, it just affect the cost structure to the point it can affect how much and what one collects.
And sadly there is no going back. Who here would want to buy circa 2007 Minichamps for 45-50 quid?
Not many I reckon.

I think about this all the time. I know my buying is way down, partially because of my income going down do to my semi retirement, I have space issues, I have other hobbies/places to spend. But a big reason also is simply the ever rising cost. I honestly get less pleasure out of a $80 model than I do a $50 one. It gets hard to justify for me.

I also think about the future of the hobby a lot, honestly some of it is self serving as I want this forum to survive, not only for the enjoyment it brings but I do have a bit of an investment in the place.
I think there will always be diecast and diecast (or resin) collectors. Will it be a growth industry? Hard to say as I think we have already seen some of the losses that assuredly will not be the last of. It does not bode well to see Minichamps limp along as it has the last few years. But like in everything else, the strong will survive and the weak will die. Lets just hope its a flu and not something terminal.
Jeff
ImageImage

chr15b

Post by chr15b » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 am

Fully agree, and its a shame to see Minichamps chasing this corner of the market. There are some brands that produce excellent quality replicas - but at a cost, one so high they'd never feature in my collection.

Minichamps to me is/was a great middle of the road brand, where the quality over price is such that i forgive minor imperfections but dont feel i've just bought a toy.

Myself i'm more than happy with a cabinet of £30 models, than a select few £80 models.

dcast

Post by dcast » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23 pm

I have 44 models from Minichamps which is the biggest number from any manufacturer in my collection but not sure how many more will end up in my collection as the prices are gone so high. Maybe from bargain bin or if the car is extremely interesting.

Good thing is there is cheaper makers such as IXO / PremiumX / Triple9 and the quality seems to be improving in them all the time. Of course it also depends the subject one collects and who happens to make them.

Production runs also seem to be smaller these days so one must buy quickly after release or it's gone and may only become available in used condition later.

chr15b

Post by chr15b » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:07 pm

dcast wrote:I have 44 models from Minichamps which is the biggest number from any manufacturer in my collection but not sure how many more will end up in my collection as the prices are gone so high. Maybe from bargain bin or if the car is extremely interesting.

Good thing is there is cheaper makers such as IXO / PremiumX / Triple9 and the quality seems to be improving in them all the time. Of course it also depends the subject one collects and who happens to make them.

Production runs also seem to be smaller these days so one must buy quickly after release or it's gone and may only become available in used condition later.
Dont get me started on limited runs from Minichamps - the only thing limited with them is the packaging!!

Rat

Post by Rat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Just looked at my stack from this and last year and found one M/C model... and that was an older release. :lol: It's been a while since M/C released something new that I had to have.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 pm

JSB33 wrote: I think about this all the time. I know my buying is way down, partially because of my income going down do to my semi retirement, I have space issues, I have other hobbies/places to spend. But a big reason also is simply the ever rising cost. I honestly get less pleasure out of a $80 model than I do a $50 one. It gets hard to justify for me.

I also think about the future of the hobby a lot, honestly some of it is self serving as I want this forum to survive, not only for the enjoyment it brings but I do have a bit of an investment in the place.
I think there will always be diecast and diecast (or resin) collectors. Will it be a growth industry? Hard to say as I think we have already seen some of the losses that assuredly will not be the last of. It does not bode well to see Minichamps limp along as it has the last few years. But like in everything else, the strong will survive and the weak will die. Lets just hope its a flu and not something terminal.
The health of our hobby is a major concern. Look how many 'serious' collectors within our ranks have sold off large chunks of their collections in the last 12 months - Sheepcrusher, Dbonser, Jinx, Lucky etc have collectively offered around 500 models for sale and significantly reduced their buying. It's not a positive sign for the future !

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 pm

MC prices are bordering on the ridiculous given their quality. I've basically given up on their new releases and buy only older stuff that's heavily discounted. I think Ixo's sub-brands have taken MC's place and they release lots of stuff that I like a lot. There are a couple of MCs left on my wish list, but I'll wait for prices to go down. There's just nothing left I want so badly that I'm willing to pay RRP, even if I had the money...

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:01 pm

It's been a while I bought a diecast MC, but their resin models are really nice. I must recognize that the price is higher than competitors and the quality is on par or ower!!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:30 am

Jager wrote:
JSB33 wrote: I think about this all the time. I know my buying is way down, partially because of my income going down do to my semi retirement, I have space issues, I have other hobbies/places to spend. But a big reason also is simply the ever rising cost. I honestly get less pleasure out of a $80 model than I do a $50 one. It gets hard to justify for me.

The health of our hobby is a major concern. Look how many 'serious' collectors within our ranks have sold off large chunks of their collections in the last 12 months - Sheepcrusher, Dbonser, Jinx, Lucky etc have collectively offered around 500 models for sale and significantly reduced their buying. It's not a positive sign for the future !
I saw the same thing happen in 1:18 when collectors like Ronan Donohue, Alanmodel, Luciano and even our own Gary sold off major collections and went elsewhere with their money.
It was scary to see how quickly things turned. Even worse than losing the big guys, they chased away many regular collectors and who knows how many people never started collecting because the high price of admission.
In some ways this is the golden era of 1:43 but I remember the golden age of 1:18 and it looked the same way.
Jeff
ImageImage

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 am

There is still a huge flood of affordable models in 1:43, but they're just not made by Minichamps...

Madalinutzu

Post by Madalinutzu » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:05 am

What is strange is that Minichamps did not updated their list with upcoming models for march 2015 on their official site.

Or this is a regular fact?

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:16 am

Can any one point me to an on-line article about the history of the 1:43 market? There must be industry publications that discuss these things.
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:29 am

IFHP wrote:Can any one point me to an on-line article about the history of the 1:43 market? There must be industry publications that discuss these things.
The history appears to relate to O gauge model railways. O gauge was an odd scale of 7 mm = 12 inches, giving a scale of 1/43.5. Various cars and trucks appeared aproximately in this scale initially as model railway accessories. However, the first model car to be made exactly to 1:43 scale is generally said to be the French Dinky Toys No. 24R Peugeot 203, released in 1951.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:43_scale

http://www.toywonders.com/history/wikipedia/O-scale.htm

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 am

Minichamps has a special place in the history of the scale- they singlehandedly turned around the industry and redefined 1:43 as a collector's scale by introducing models of a quality previously made by the artisans (or better!), for prices less than a quarter of those high-end makers' products and only slightly above the price of the 'improved toys' that were the norm around then. The huge amount of different models and product lines made them unavoidable for most collectors.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:47 am

Tom wrote:Minichamps has a special place in the history of the scale- they singlehandedly turned around the industry and redefined 1:43 as a collector's scale by introducing models of a quality previously made by the artisans (or better!), for prices less than a quarter of those high-end makers' products and only slightly above the price of the 'improved toys' that were the norm around then. The huge amount of different models and product lines made them unavoidable for most collectors.
I wouldn't credit Minichamps with 'singlehandedly' turning around the industry. Before Minichamps burst onto the scene in the early 1990's, you also had the Vitesse/Onyx group knocking out some very decent and affordable 1:43 collectors models as early as the mid 1980's. There were others too, such as Brumm and Rio with their collectable 1:43 Italian cars, Trax 1:43 models of Australian cars and later Lledo's Vanguards range of 1:43 British cars.

I remember in 1990 I had started collecting 1:43 Alfa Romeo's and had built up a collection of approx 25 cars from Brumm, Rio, Best, Bang, Solido & Progetto K. My first Minichamps Alfa didn't come along until early 1994 - the 1993 DTM winner. Admittedly though Minichamps were making 1:43 F1 models a couple of years before this.

Admittedly through the 1990's Minichamps lifted the bar on quality and for a decade were the benchmark. This coincided with the arrival of the internet, collectors forums and eBay which I believed played a significant role in Minichamps early sucess and the establishment of a significant collectors industry.