Chrome paint

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
Marcus143

Chrome paint

Post by Marcus143 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi everyone,
I have three 1:43 cars that are in need of a slight touch up of chrome paint on their bumpers.
Can anyone suggest which product would be suitable?
I have seen spray cans of chrome mirror effect paint on ebay, which I thought I could use with a small brush, but I'm not sure.

Ozmac

Re: Chrome paint

Post by Ozmac » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:32 am

Model builders tend to go for Alclad when they want the really shiny stuff. There are a few different types of Alclad available, I believe, but I don't know that much about it.

All the paint makers for models have a "chrome" in their ranges, I have a few of them, such as Tamiya, Gunze Mr Hobby, Humbrol, and they are all quite different, and I don't think they're all that good.

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:10 am

This from a kitset builder on a rotary forum..I asked him specifically whether he used bare metal foil on his brightwork...

"The bumpers in the old plastic kit are chrome and that's what i ended up using, although the ones in the resin kit are slightly thinner and look better. For the resin bumpers I paint them black and use Kousette Ginsan chrome buffing powder, the stuff is magic! I'm still having dramas getting the resin bumpers smooth enough to buff but when i do I'll swap them over."
Lars

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:56 am

Marcus, Alclad is definitely the only way to go if you want a true chrome paint finish - problem is it is only designed to be sprayed so you need an airbrush. Is also tricky if you are only doing a repair. Bare metal foil is another good option just make sure the foil is fresh and that you use a very sharp blade (new is best)

Lars, Kit? Resin? Spill the beans buddy.

Cheers
Lee

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:23 am

I think a member on the ausrotary forum makes resin kits...like major bits of the bandai 1/20 r100 kit for sale..maybe also the rx2,3 as well. that rx2 is twin headlight so unknown scale or brand for that one...suspect 1/24.
Lars

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Meanwhile I use Alclad chrome paint. Bare metal foil is excellent for small pieces, that means plain or only slightly embossed areas. If you want to chrome full objects like bumpers, grilles and so one, it is very unsatisfying with BMF, furthermore BMF has a very slight structure, on larger areas you can polish as heavy as you want, the surface of BMF stays a little bit "crinkled".

Alclad is almost perfect. Just make sure that you have a very shiny, high-gloss black surface. It is not necessary to use the (expensive) Alclad black primer, I always use simple spray paint from the supermarket, this works excellent! Use the airbrush with low pressure, and try on some scrap parts how many waves of chrome paint you need. You have two choices: a little less chrome paint, then the part is high-shining but a little bit dark - or some more chrome paint, then it gets a little bit dull but shows a bright/white silver. Unfortunately there is no "ideal" in-between. Two minutes after spraying get with a very wide, soft, dry and clean brush over the parts, this removes the overspray and enhances the chrome-shine.

But - after all - this seems the best way to get a really professional chromed surface for models :D