Photo practice

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
ljplemans

Photo practice

Post by ljplemans » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:59 pm

Photo practice; :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jager

Re: Photo practice

Post by Jager » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:27 pm

The 'graph paper' background is an interesting option. All three pictures look good.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

ljplemans

Post by ljplemans » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:05 pm

I need a macro lens...and better eye's! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:42 am

I like the white background better. The models get eaten up in that black void. They are nicely lit but I still feel like details are being lost. Try a dark blue or deep purple for light colored cars like these. Maybe a silvery gray or off-white for darker vehicles, as a bright white can make the picture look stark and sterile. Your photos don't have very high resolution, but that may be fine for what you plan to do. I use 300ppi for the thumbnails in my database and they blow up to 3" x 2". I personally am not a fan of the reflected "ghost" effect of photographing on a reflective surface.

There's also the option of a colored "floor", which, when photographed at a slight downward angle, can make a model stand out against your choice of backdrop. Places like Acrylite can give you color options, "frosted glass" and mirrored finishes. http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/purc ... 7zmsi.html I've been practicing with these but am having problems with the transitions in the background. If I adjust the camera aperture to blur the edge of the sheet then it usually also blurs the far end of the model. I need more distance behind the model.