Spark/Bizarre Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
danny

Re: Spark/Bizarre Miscues

Postby danny » Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 am

If spark pretends to make the starting versions of the le mans models they are wrong with the #75 prospeed car of last year. The rims again. The following picture is made on the 3rd lap and shows silver rims.

The model has black rims, a used in training and presentation

I guess the team used what they had during the race, because some time in the race the #75 had used the black ones

conclusion: As starting model wrong, as race model OK

Jager

Postby Jager » Fri May 22, 2015 3:12 am

Well spotted Danny. From an accuracy point of view I prefer the silver rims, but from an athletics point of view I think I prefer the black rims (silver rims are very common among the other cars in my collection).

Perhaps what Spark should have done is put the silver rims on the left side and the black rims on the right side. That way you could display it whichever way you please :lol:
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Postby RaceOddity » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:19 am

Jager wrote:Well spotted Danny. From an accuracy point of view I prefer the silver rims, but from an athletics point of view I think I prefer the black rims (silver rims are very common among the other cars in my collection).

Perhaps what Spark should have done is put the silver rims on the left side and the black rims on the right side. That way you could display it whichever way you please :lol:

That's their story and they're sticking to it!!! :lol: :?

Scott

builthatch

Postby builthatch » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm

now, is this a case of the car being a victim of massive accident(s), or is the model inaccurate?

scrutineering decals are wrong, Marchal fender decals are wrong, lip spoiler is wrong (color, Shell logos, missing Marchal, etc.)

the lip spoiler is likely due to race damage, ok.

in the race pic, you can see the top gold paint line is way off vs. the rear quarter. so does that mean the door and front fender were replaced too?

caught this last minute before an auction was about to expire. it definitely influenced by bidding. i figured if i got it for a steal, fine, because it looks cool as heck. but i couldn't be sure it was accurate.

PS: the hood/front end just looks long in general for the model version. i compared it to other shots of other CSLs from that race. i don't know what it is...aside from the Hermetite logo placement being off...

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Unfortunately I can't see your images as your picture host is blocked here in the UAE ?

Are you referring to the Spark 1976 'Hermetite' BMW ? I have pictures of the car with the logos and scrutineering decals in two different positions.

Here is the simplified version. I suspect this picture is from the April test day.

Perhaps these picture helps clarify the decal placement on the Spark version. The one taken on the pre-race grid in front of the pits is the best indication of how the car started the race :

builthatch

Postby builthatch » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 pm

hmm, i used tinypic for this because it was fast. i'll stick with photobucket then for this forum.

perfect. yep, that clarifies things, thanks! i tried to look for the other version pics but couldn't find any.

in that case, the model appears MUCH more accurate.

danny

Postby danny » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:34 am

The Porsche 919 with #19 has the decals on the nose "HY" and "P1" switched. This is only on the models with the number 43LM15. The ones sold with the trophy are ok. The models sold by Porsche have the decals also right, but are totally crap compared with the regular Version.
We had the regular and the Porsche Version last Wednesday for comparison at the "Stammtisch" in Germany.
The faults on the Porsche version are : rear wing is to wide
engraving is not as sharp as the regular
fender between front wheel and headlight is to big
rear fender is to high
opening above the wheels have to much material on the outside

If you have a choice take the regular one, It seems that the Porsche versions are presentation models with new decals on it. There is a reason why the spark versions are so late. They are complete new mouldings.

Jager

Postby Jager » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Thanks Danny. Wish I knew that at Le Mans two weeks ago.

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 am

Spark don't seem to make too many mistakes these days, but over on the French Le Mans forum they've noticed Spark has mistaken the "ÉCURIE BRETAGNE" logo on the front bumper of the '78 #62 Porsche for "HUÎTRE BRETAGNE".

Jager

Postby Jager » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:02 am

danny wrote:The Porsche 919 with #19 has the decals on the nose "HY" and "P1" switched. This is only on the models with the number 43LM15. The ones sold with the trophy are ok.

Danny, I received and photographed my #19 Porsche 919 this week (43LM15), but it didn't have the problem you indicated above. The HY decal is on the drivers right and the P1 decal on the drivers left exactly as the car appeared at the race ?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10667&start=384

reeft1

Postby reeft1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Jager wrote:Spark don't seem to make too many mistakes these days, but over on the French Le Mans forum they've noticed Spark has mistaken the "ÉCURIE BRETAGNE" logo on the front bumper of the '78 #62 Porsche for "HUÎTRE BRETAGNE".

Do you need a replacement decal for this Ian?

danny

Postby danny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Jager wrote:
danny wrote:The Porsche 919 with #19 has the decals on the nose "HY" and "P1" switched. This is only on the models with the number 43LM15. The ones sold with the trophy are ok.

Danny, I received and photographed my #19 Porsche 919 this week (43LM15), but it didn't have the problem you indicated above. The HY decal is on the drivers right and the P1 decal on the drivers left exactly as the car appeared at the race ?

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=24& ... &start=384

I saw a lot of wrong ones shortly after delivery by spark. Maybe there is a second batch with the right decals

Jager

Postby Jager » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:35 pm

I think your right Danny. It seems to have mostly affected the European releases. I see Spark are now sending replacement decals to correct the problem.

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Spark are usually pretty good, but it appears they have a production fault and QC issue with the 1962 #32 Sunbeam Alpine that's been recently released. Mine arrived with cracks in the wheel rims of the two left side wheels and when I checked with the supplier he found that the 3 remaining models he had in stock had similar cracks (albeit not as severe).

Funnily enough the problem doesn't appear to have affected the sister #33 car from 1962, while I'm still waiting for my 1963 version to arrive to see if that has a similar problem.

Hopefully the matter can be resolved with a replacement set of wheels. However, if you're buying one of the Spark Sunbeam Alpines se I'd advise you to check it carefully.

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Did Spark really omit the Marlboro text from the 1989 Rallye Côte d'Ivoire winner decals? It looks like the model just hit some of the French & German sellers and none of them show the Marlboro text:

It was on the car as it raced in the rally:

but not on the one seen here:

Maybe Spark used this as the reference? If they did omit it I guess I'll stick with my old UH version.

Jager

Postby Jager » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 am

dbonser wrote:Did Spark really omit the Marlboro text from the 1989 Rallye Côte d'Ivoire winner decals? It looks like the model just hit some of the French & German sellers and none of them show the Marlboro text:

You can see in your second picture the Marlboro decals are supplied separately on a decal sheet for you to apply (see sheet in front of model on base). That's pretty standard these days for tobacco logos.

lemans_mike

Postby lemans_mike » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:59 am

Jager wrote:
dbonser wrote:Did Spark really omit the Marlboro text from the 1989 Rallye Côte d'Ivoire winner decals? It looks like the model just hit some of the French & German sellers and none of them show the Marlboro text:

You can see in your second picture the Marlboro decals are supplied separately on a decal sheet for you to apply (see sheet in front of model on base). That's pretty standard these days for tobacco logos.

They don't seem to include the Marlboro text though.

David MG

Postby David MG » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:09 am

[quote="lemans_mike"

They don't seem to include the Marlboro text though.[/quote]

Looking at the 1:1 it didn't have Marlborough text.
Cheers,
David

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:19 am

Jager wrote:

That's just the red part of the logo. The word Marlboro is not on the decal.

David MG wrote:
lemans_mike wrote:

It did. It's in the pictures I posted.

raystaggs

Postby raystaggs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:32 am

dbonser wrote:
Jager wrote:

That's just the red part of the logo. The word Marlboro is not on the decal.

David MG wrote:
lemans_mike wrote:

It did. It's in the pictures I posted.

Yes the pics of the actual car show Marlboro text at the top of the windscreen, and 27 Rallye Côte d'Ivoire on the door panel...

Glen

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:07 am

Could the pic of the decals even be censored? Seems weird to have separate decals of the logo and don't add the text.

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Glen wrote:Could the pic of the decals even be censored? Seems weird to have separate decals of the logo and don't add the text.

They're not. I checked with Rallye Fanshop and the owner confirmed the Marlboro text is not on the decals. He, in turn, is checking with Spark but, so far, no answer.

I really think Spark used the car shown in the one pic that looks like it's in a museum somewhere without the Marlboro text.

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:07 am

I heard back from Ulrich @ Rallye Fanshop and the response from Spark is that the Marlboro text was not included. They provided no explanation. I still think it is incorrect. I will definitely be sticking with my UH version since it does have the Marlboro text.

Now I'm glad the buyer that bid $0.99 on eBay never paid. :lol:

Glen

Postby Glen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:12 pm

A strange one. You'd expect better from Spark. Hopefully they won't start doing this with all tobacco sponsers.

Return to “Manufacturer Miscues”