Schuco miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
JSB33
Site Admin

Schuco miscues

Postby JSB33 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:54 am

Please show any issues you have with quality control or errors with Schuco models in this thread.

Remember photos of the equivalent 1/1 are very important to demonstrate the issue with the model.

Constructive critiscm is the aim
Jeff
ImageImage

Rodrigo Cavalcante

Re: Schuco miscues

Postby Rodrigo Cavalcante » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:28 pm

I received my 1:43 scale diecast Schuco, VW Fox, with the right front wheel without alignment.

Image on the left front wheel aligned

Compared with the previous image, right front wheel.

Chassi´s overview.

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:08 am

That's not really a miscue, more like an assembly fault.
Steve

Rodrigo Cavalcante

Postby Rodrigo Cavalcante » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:02 pm

thetrooper wrote:That's not really a miscue, more like an assembly fault.

Ok, that´s right. It´s my fault. I´m sorry.

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Rodrigo Cavalcante wrote:
thetrooper wrote:That's not really a miscue, more like an assembly fault.

Ok, that´s right. It´s my fault. I´m sorry.

I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or it's a language barrier :? What the thread is for is things like the wrong shape body or the wrong wheels on the model or things like that. It's not for bad assembly of a model really.
Steve

Rodrigo Cavalcante

Postby Rodrigo Cavalcante » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Steve, i'm not being sarcastic, it really was my fault :oops: . But in regard to miscues, i thought the wheels are very disproportionate, if they were real would be 18 inches. The real size of VW/Fox wheels is 15 inches.

philsaunders

Postby philsaunders » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:32 am

Schuco 05522 Opel Ascona B400 Winner Safari Rally 1983, Ari Vatanen

I'm not entirely sure this really is a miscue, since the model is an accurate and admirably detailed representation of this:

However, I'm starting to get the impression that this 1:1 museum display is sitting on inaccurate wheels. Every photo I've dug up (including all of the ones in my McKlein books) show the Safari Asconas with 5-spokes as shown below.

I have been unable to find any photos of this car from the actual race with the modeled wheels. I'm hoping I'm wrong, and if anyone could dig up some race photos from the '83 Safari where the car has these wheels, I'd appreciate it! I've bought a set of Tron wheels for the car and have yet to spray them and swap them, and I'd rather avoid the work if it turns out I'm wrong :P
Friends don't let friends early apex...

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:19 am

I spent only a few minutes searching but I can't find any photos with those wheels on the car during the rally. I found a number of photos with those wheels on the car when it's being displayed - presumably much later than 1983. Dang it Phil, I used to think this model was just about perfect. :evil: ;)
- Douglas

k1w1taxi

Postby k1w1taxi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:20 am

Phil, you will probably find those are the tarmac spec wheels. It seems to be a big problem with many of the mid level brands such as ixo and Trofeu. Very few Subies have the appropriate wheels, or so the experts tell me.

Cheers
Lee

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:40 am

Rodrigo Cavalcante wrote:Steve, i'm not being sarcastic, it really was my fault :oops: . But in regard to miscues, i thought the wheels are very disproportionate, if they were real would be 18 inches. The real size of VW/Fox wheels is 15 inches.

That's cool. It's just sometimes when people write things you can't get the meaning behind it if you know what I mean. A fair point on the wheels being too big for the model.
Last edited by thetrooper on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

philsaunders

Postby philsaunders » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 pm

k1w1taxi wrote:Phil, you will probably find those are the tarmac spec wheels. It seems to be a big problem with many of the mid level brands such as ixo and Trofeu. Very few Subies have the appropriate wheels, or so the experts tell me.

Cheers
Lee

The irony here is that Schuco makes several Ascona B400s with the 5-spokes, so it's not a case of cheaping out. I believe they just duplicated the one in the museum to the best of their abilities without doing the proper research (ie. taking a look at any pictures whatsoever from the race!) to ensure that the museum model was correct.

As far as I know the Safari does not have any Tarmac stages. :lol:

I've been tempted to just buy one of the Schuco models with the 5-spokes and swap them out, but I haven't found one in the bargain or damaged bin yet.

philsaunders

Postby philsaunders » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Another indicator confirming my suspicion is that like the 1:1 in the museum, the model is missing the "Rothmans Opel Rally Team" windshield decal present on the race car. As well it's missing the Michelin decals on the front wheel arches!! I'm surprised at the poor research done in the restoration of this car!! Yet another thing to track down (sigh.) Anyone make a decal set for this car?

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:19 pm

philsaunders wrote:Another indicator confirming my suspicion is that like the 1:1 in the museum, the model is missing the "Rothmans Opel Rally Team" windshield decal present on the race car. As well it's missing the Michelin decals on the front wheel arches!! I'm surprised at the poor research done in the restoration of this car!! Yet another thing to track down (sigh.) Anyone make a decal set for this car?

Ugh. It goes from bad to worse, doesn't it? It's safe to say they certainly modeled this after the car in the museum. As for the decals you'll probably have better luck over at the diecastrallymodels forum.
- Douglas

philsaunders

Postby philsaunders » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm

dbonser wrote:Ugh. It goes from bad to worse, doesn't it? It's safe to say they certainly modeled this after the car in the museum. As for the decals you'll probably have better luck over at the diecastrallymodels forum.

All that said, it's still a fantastic model, and I'm not terribly disappointed even if I had to keep it as is. For the most part they should be easy fixes if a decal set can be found. I suspect any decal set will have the Michelin as part of the stripes so the best bet for those would be a generic Michelin sheet with different sizes in white. I'll certainly post something on the rallymodelforum.

Return to “Manufacturer Miscues”