HPI Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
k1w1taxi

HPI Miscues

Post by k1w1taxi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 am

The 93 Rally NZ Legacy.

The 1:1 ran with 555's. I understand that they can not put the 555 on the model, but did they HAVE to ruin it with those crescents?

Note to HPI for future releases like this please just leave it blank so the collector can sort it themselves if they so desire.

Cheers
Lee

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: HPI Miscues

Post by JSB33 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:52 am

I like Sparks approach. They leave the spot bare and they include the correct decals.
Jeff
ImageImage

jface

Post by jface » Mon May 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Im not good at photography so I cant show you the interior but the HPI Lancia Delta Integrale Club Hi-Fi has a blue interior. Being a huge enthusiast of this car I did further research and discoverd the Club Hi-Fi had a beige interior only. Hpi was way of

sheepCrusher

Post by sheepCrusher » Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm

No Lark or Davidoff decals on the new Mclarens. Fail. Why bother? Plenty of other cars you can model without this issue. These have already been made anyway. Where are HPI's made anyway? It's time to get over this tobacco and alcohol BS. Why are these models that say "not a toy" considered toys? Stupid.

The dog wet on the picnic basket

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm

The amusing irony for me is that I didn't realise either were tobacco brands. If they'd just stuck them on the car I'd have been none the wiser :lol:
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 am

I knew about Davidoff but never knew what Lark was either 8-)
Jeff
ImageImage

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Post by RaceOddity » Sun May 08, 2011 12:34 am

JSB33 wrote:I knew about Davidoff but never knew what Lark was either 8-)
Hmmm..., I have a Davidoff McLaren from the "other" manufacturer and it says Davidoff Watches...
That's what I thought they were. Oh well. My kids say I don't get out much.

Scott

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun May 08, 2011 4:32 am

Chaps

can we add some pictures of the 1/1s to back up our assertions please?
Also will help with the placing of the decals :o

I personally thought Davidoff was an aftershave but now i know its fags i'm addicted

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

sheepCrusher

Post by sheepCrusher » Sun May 08, 2011 6:11 am

They make several things but it would appear that the fags were the sponsor of the car.

You can see the Davidoff Classic logo on the Mac at 6:36 in this video.
http://youtu.be/6z2LeCqGNsc

You can clearly see the missing hood decal here, which looks like it's been substituted with some BS.

Lark

==================================================================
Now, if they would just redo the liveries for the McLaren MP4-12C GTR that would be awesome.
Digital:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11002012432 ... /photos#20
The dog wet on the picnic basket

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:40 pm

bumping a terribly old thread just to mention that HPI failed to make the left outer headlamp yellow on their #63 1989 LM C9.

obviously old news, but still...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Old news maybe, but still news to me. I can't return to my state of ignorance now, but it's such a lovely model I won't lose too much sleep! I wonder why just the one car had that?
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:44 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:Old news maybe, but still news to me. I can't return to my state of ignorance now, but it's such a lovely model I won't lose too much sleep! I wonder why just the one car had that?
i agree! that model (and really, the set) is what got me started looking at 1/43 scale.

i have thought about the yellow headlight and i just don't know. i was thinking if another one had a yellow lamp on the right side, then, between the three, at night from afar you could probably have an easier time identifying them. but nope, because only one had different lamp(s) out of the three that entered.

David MG

Post by David MG » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:47 am

Easy to cure with some Tamya clear yellow acrylic paint !
Cheers,
David

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:05 am

builthatch wrote:
guitardave_1 wrote:Old news maybe, but still news to me. I can't return to my state of ignorance now, but it's such a lovely model I won't lose too much sleep! I wonder why just the one car had that?
i agree! that model (and really, the set) is what got me started looking at 1/43 scale.

i have thought about the yellow headlight and i just don't know. i was thinking if another one had a yellow lamp on the right side, then, between the three, at night from afar you could probably have an easier time identifying them. but nope, because only one had different lamp(s) out of the three that entered.
Well spotted Builthatch. I hadn't seen or heard this questioned before, but Dave's suggestion that it was used to identify the different team cars at night makes sense - after all the car with the yellow headlight was also the one with the yellow wing mirrors. However, when the headlights were turned on, there was no discernable difference and the outer left headlight looked the same as all the others ?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 pm

^i think that is more a function of that particular exposure than what it looks like in "real life".

i work for a lighting manufacturer, Hella, and while we don't sell many yellow lamps, we do sell amber clear film for protection as well as various yellow bulbs. the light temperature tends to be ~3,000 Kelvin and below for these yellow lamps and that definitely does appear different, especially at night, vs. cooler temperature clear "white" bulbs.

but either way, that still only leaves one car with amber! it's a very interesting topic.

it would be neat to modify the cars and paint the lone silver reflector but i am too afraid to remove the clear housing without damage. the three car set in particular was too expensive for me to touch it! though i do have two additional HPI #63, but they are in the display case with separate engine cover. they do not have the clear wafer seals holding the rear on like the original condition three car set #63. what i'm saying is if i modified one of those, i'd like to put it in the three car set but i'd then have to find the clear wafers to make it appear original. that is if i was being a stickler for originality, since that set is somewhat harder to find than others at this time. still, that clear headlight housing looks easily damaged!

someday it might get the better of me and i might attempt a correction!

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Maybe they ran out of clear headlamps or it somehow became discolored? I see some pics with a clear bulb, some with yellow and this one that looks to be somewhere in-between:

Also noticed some models have a yellow headlamp and some have clear.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:04 pm

Since yellow headlamps are one of the indicators of whether the car behind you is a GT or prototype, I'm surprised that they would be allowed to run with an incorrect headlamp.

lemans_mike

Post by lemans_mike » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:14 am

Baxter wrote:Since yellow headlamps are one of the indicators of whether the car behind you is a GT or prototype, I'm surprised that they would be allowed to run with an incorrect headlamp.
Back in the Group C days of 1989 there weren't any GT cars, just Groups C1 and C2. I think the yellow
headlight rule is quite a recent development, and a good one, along with lights always having to be on.

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:45 pm

dbonser wrote:Maybe they ran out of clear headlamps or it somehow became discolored? I see some pics with a clear bulb, some with yellow and this one that looks to be somewhere in-between:

Also noticed some models have a yellow headlamp and some have clear.
the reflection off of the cover is washing out the light. but it's definitely yellow - here is a clearer pic from that day with that same #7 962 in the background.

this is really making me curious! there are probably many people who know exactly why this was the way it was on that day but it's a matter of finding someone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Maybe the following from http://dogcare.mahalife.com/benzowners. ... rs-le-mans ?

(the site doesn't seem to like triple hyphens so you will need to copy and paste the link...)

Trouble hit – literally – the No. 63 Sauber-Mercedes an hour and a half into the race. On the second lap after taking over from Mass, Manuel Reuter ran over a broken exhaust pipe from another car. The nose of the C9 was damaged and the pipe smashed a hole in the floor as it dragged along around the track. Stopping for a new nose and repairs, No. 63 dropped to 20th but team management instructed the drivers to maintain the pre-determined pace.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:13 am

That's good info, but the #63 car already had a yellow left outer headlight at the begining of the week when it was shown at scrutineering (see picture above), It would seem it was a very deliberate pre-race detail and not the result of an accident during the race.

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:35 am

haha, dbonser and i are searching the same stuff! i love it.

#63 started the race with the yellow lamp.

it has also been displayed with the yellow lamp from the first day it was put into a museum.

i reached out to some people for some (any) insights. we'll see.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:13 am

I had a few thoughts which I checked out.

The first was to check if any of the Sauber Mercedes had yellow headlight in 1987, 1988 or 1991. From what I could see, the answer was no.

I then checked to see if this or any other Sauber's used a yellow headlight light at any race in 1989. Again, from the pictures I checked the answer was no :

Chassis #2 : http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis ... C9-02.html

Chassis #3 : http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis ... C9-03.html

Chassis #4 : http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis ... C9-04.html

Chassis #5 : http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis ... C9-05.html

So, it appears this was specifically a one-off for the 1989 Le Mans 24 Hours ?

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:40 pm

yes, it appears that way. very strange!

i have tweeted the curator of the MB museum for an answer.

PS - i stumbled on a 787 pic with a singular amber lamp...ugh lol

here are some original pictures from 1991

then, some modern pics