HPI Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
builthatch

Re: HPI Miscues

Postby builthatch » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:05 pm

i wanted to add that i still haven't figured out the yellow lamp thing but i also noticed that the #63 car of the '89 cars had an exceptionally small hole on the nose vs. the rest. the one in the center above the Mercedes emblem...much smaller on the #63 car for that race. the HPI set all have the same size holes.

Jager

Postby Jager » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:45 am

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect HPI to have made two different castings because of the size of the air duct.

As it was HPI, never made any money from their 1:43 series and went out of business. Clearly they were already putting more investment into the models than they were getting back.

Don't let a small thing like this detract from what is otherwise a beautiful set. Remember that before HPI came along we only had the 25 year old "Max Model' version of the winning 1989 Sauber :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:16 am

Jager wrote:I think its a bit unrealistic to expect HPI to have made two different castings because of the size of the air duct.

As it was HPI, never made any money from their 1:43 series and went out of business. Clearly they were already putting more investment into the models than they were getting back.

Don't let a small thing like this detract from what is otherwise a beautiful set. Remember that before HPI came along we only had the 25 year old "Max Model' version of the winning 1989 Sauber :

Spark would make them different (assuming they knew). It's one of the things that puts them above the majority and also makes them more expensive than the majority. I own the Sauber as a Starter, Max and Ixo. Had I been more patient, I could have saved that money and bought the HPI instead. As it is, I'm satisfied with the Ixo.

I only own one HPI, a Porsche 956. It was 40% more expensive than the Minichamps it replaced, but in those days that was a $16 difference.

builthatch

Postby builthatch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:27 am

Jager wrote:

is that what happened? i figured it was because their RC business is such high margin, they figured they'd stick with that. i didn't know it was a case where the scale models weren't profitable. it's a shame because at this point i've gotten models from most of their competitors and i still like the HPI stuff (especially the LM cars) the most overall when i consider all things involved.

[img]http://motorsportsminiatures.com/images/detailed/5/MAX-1000-3.jpg?t=1421242592[img]

oh i agree! it's gorgeous. all of the C9 HPI Models are gorgeous. like i said, that HPI model (specifically, #63) and the three car set got me into all of this in the first place.

Baxter wrote:
Spark would make them different (assuming they knew). It's one of the things that puts them above the majority and also makes them more expensive than the majority. I own the Sauber as a Starter, Max and Ixo. Had I been more patient, I could have saved that money and bought the HPI instead. As it is, I'm satisfied with the Ixo.

I only own one HPI, a Porsche 956. It was 40% more expensive than the Minichamps it replaced, but in those days that was a $16 difference.

the HPI Sauber isn't greasy fingers friendly!!!! haha

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 am

Baxter wrote:Spark would make them different (assuming they knew). It's one of the things that puts them above the majority and also makes them more expensive than the majority.

Your right Baxter, but I think the difference is Spark's are made of resin which more easily allows for small changes to the mould, while the HPI's are diecast and therefore much more expensive to re-tool for a small change.

PolishMofoBMW92

Postby PolishMofoBMW92 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:23 am

It's about this car above. So to me HPI made the best model in my opinion due to detail and little bit lowered suspension to give it even more aggressive look.

Anyway this is the very very first version of GT-R back from 2009. As you can see on the picture, seats got a red trim finish. That means to me it's the "Black Edition" however it doesn't say anywhere in description. HPI tend to fully discribe versions of their models. Also as far I am aware, in black edition samples rear wings weren't painted in colour of the car. In this one is.

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:29 pm

builthatch wrote:It's a shame because at this point i've gotten models from most of their competitors and i still like the HPI stuff (especially the LM cars) the most overall when i consider all things involved.

I, too, lament the departure of HPI from the 1:43 scene, because I have 4 of their models and they're all stunning. Looking to get more someday.

With that, I'd like to add their special-version MF10 2000GT to the list. I bought one with prior knowledge of its glaring flaw, because it does not detract from the absolute epicness of the car, which contrasts nicely with my blue/chrome MF12.

Disclaimer: pic shamelessly stolen as it's the sexiest angle of this model I could find. Anthony, PM me if you'd rather I not use it.

The real car on which the HPI was based is a custom 2000GT with a white interior - which as you can see is black on this model.

I guess it made no sense to invest resources into a white interior for just this version, but I tend to be a stickler for accuracy, of the "go all in or go home" variety.

Luckily I think the car actually looks better with the incorrect interior. You'll note the 1:1 also has red center caps on the wheels, but I'm glad HPI left those out because in this case I find them tacky.

Can anyone here read the blurry Japanese? Curious whose car this is and what's the story on it.
"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:16 pm

One error that bugs me enough to hold off on the model entirely (in spite of the superb job HPI did on the bodywork) is on the road-going Ford RS200. Observe how slammed the HPI is compared to its 1:1 counterpart.

(Pic again stolen, this time from Andy's photos.)

This is especially baffling because their rally versions all have the correct ride height, whereas the "street" model is boy-racer-ish and fails to capture the dirt-destroying rawness of the real thing.

Tom

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Practice run for the Ignition look. :lol:

Galaxy Gaz

Postby Galaxy Gaz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:14 pm

The real car is incorrect :lol:
Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Galaxy Gaz wrote:The real car is incorrect :lol:

Agreed, sir Gary! The 1:1 should definitely sit lower. :lol:

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Serafa wrote:The 1:1 should definitely sit lower. :lol:

Hah. True that! I woulda been perfectly OK with a "let's meet in the middle" look from HPI - you know, an even wheel gap all the way around :P

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:06 am

protzenegger wrote:
builthatch wrote:It's a shame because at this point i've gotten models from most of their competitors and i still like the HPI stuff (especially the LM cars) the most overall when i consider all things involved.

I, too, lament the departure of HPI from the 1:43 scene, because I have 4 of their models and they're all stunning. Looking to get more someday.

With that, I'd like to add their special-version MF10 2000GT to the list. I bought one with prior knowledge of its glaring flaw, because it does not detract from the absolute epicness of the car, which contrasts nicely with my blue/chrome MF12.

Disclaimer: pic shamelessly stolen as it's the sexiest angle of this model I could find. Anthony, PM me if you'd rather I not use it.

The real car on which the HPI was based is a custom 2000GT with a white interior - which as you can see is black on this model.

I guess it made no sense to invest resources into a white interior for just this version, but I tend to be a stickler for accuracy, of the "go all in or go home" variety.

Luckily I think the car actually looks better with the incorrect interior. You'll note the 1:1 also has red center caps on the wheels, but I'm glad HPI left those out because in this case I find them tacky.

Can anyone here read the blurry Japanese? Curious whose car this is and what's the story on it.

The front indicator is wrong as well.
Steve

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I had an HPI RS200 in my hand today. It is exceptional, but the stance is just wrong. Decided against it for that reason.

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:09 am

thetrooper wrote:The front indicator is wrong as well.

Yeah, I think all the MF10s have that issue - not a big enough error to pass on the model though. Was fixed on the MF12, for what it's worth.

Just thought of another reason I don't mind the HPI having a black interior - the windows on the 1:1 are so tinted it may as well be black anyway!

builthatch

Postby builthatch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm

i haven't been on this site in a while. hello.

i wanted to say that i think the "plain" HPI RS200 versions are low, yes. but i have seen tarmac and hill climb examples set up with similar ride heights so i think somewhere between their current "plain" ride height and a couple of their rally versions' ride heights would have been a good compromise for a street setup. there was at least one of the rally versions that HPI made where the height was adequate for a rally where dirt was a factor and suspension travel was paramount.

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm

builthatch wrote:i think somewhere between their current "plain" ride height and a couple of their rally versions' ride heights would have been a good compromise for a street setup.

Exactly. Just something that at least visually centers the wheels inside the arches. Whereas this thing is practically resting on its tires, giving it a "stancebro" look that's completely out of place. A very strange failure by HPI considering how spot-on some of their other models are.

LUW

Postby LUW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

What makes me not like that car is exactly the too-tall wheel arches. If they weren't so tall the RS would look much better in my eyes.
Cheers!
Luciano

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:37 pm

LUW wrote:What makes me not like that car is exactly the too-tall wheel arches. If they weren't so tall the RS would look much better in my eyes.

It's true the 1:1 sits quite weird. I took the liberty of making a photoshop of the HPI model to illustrate exactly what's happening here.

The 1:1's front wheel arch is even taller than the rear, because the floor of the car is completely parallel to the ground, even "squatting" a little. While the car may still be impressive in person, this look really does not translate well on a scale model, so we understand & accept some distortion if it's to compensate for scale and fool the eye a bit.

However, this model must have been done by the same folks who went on to form Ignition, because they went completely ham on the suspension. Since I'd like my models to be accurate representations, this is too drastically different to add to the 1:43 garage.

The 3rd image represents the tiny change that HPI would have needed to make for me to have bought the model, and equates to just under a 2-inch lift. This centers the wheels like I was talking about earlier, and gives the car a balanced stance, worthy of a Group B rally beast.

Jager

Postby Jager » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Couldn't you achieve the "ideal" look simply by putting a couple of small washers between the body casting and the base casting where they screw together ? I've done this on a few Spark models that I thought sat too low.

I appreciate you shouldn't have to do this on an expense model, but if you like everything else about the car I think there must be a solution to this problem.

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 pm

I make Ian's words my own words.

protzenegger

Postby protzenegger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Jager wrote:Couldn't you achieve the "ideal" look simply by putting a couple of small washers between the body casting and the base casting where they screw together ? I've done this on a few Spark models that I thought sat too low.

I appreciate you shouldn't have to do this on an expense model, but if you like everything else about the car I think there must be a solution to this problem.

Good to know this seems to be an easy fix. My reasoning, besides what you already said, is that I'm historically not handy with objects that require careful/precise tweaking, and wasn't gonna risk taking apart a fragile resin model to see how it's built. If it were anything more complex than what you're describing, I'd have no faith in my ability to reassemble it to the same standard. Really hoping it's as simple as it sounds.

Jager

Postby Jager » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 am

Alex, if your not comfortable, start with a cheap part-works car to experiment with.

Return to “Manufacturer Miscues”