True Scale Miniatures Miscues!!!

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
DeadCanDanceR

True Scale Miniatures Miscues!!!

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Wed May 04, 2011 4:53 am

I've just received my three TSM Rolls-Royce models. And, although they are beautifully made (very similar, and I wouldn't say that necessarily better than a NEO model), I'm very disappointed due to several errors in two of them.

The 1975 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow is filled with errors. Even though TSM says that it is a 1975 Silver Shadow, it has the small grilles below the headlamps that were deleted in 1973, and it has the 1977 dashboard! This car looks like a salvage yard car! I haven't found a single photo of a 1975 Silver Shadow with those wheel covers (they were common on Corniche, Camargue and later on Silver Wraith II). And, if correct, they should have the center painted black with the Rolls-Royce logo.

I've also found that cars with padded tops built around 1975, have a small Rolls-Royce badge located in the blind rear quarter, just aft of the rear doors. Earlier cars didn't. This model is missing that badge!

The 1966 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI, isn't a Phantom VI at all. First of all, Phantom VI was introduced in 1968 (not 1966), and the main exterior difference between the H. J. Mulliner-Park Ward limousine (design number 2003) mounted on both late Phantom V and early Phantom VI chassis was an air inlet grille located at the scuttle's top. And this model has no scuttle's grille at all!

The outside rear view mirrors are incorrectly located at the base of the A-pillar. All of the photos that I've found (on several R-R books) of the early Phantom VI limousine show that the mirrors were usually located on top of the front wings, right above the front wheels. The exception being a couple of landaulette bodies and some late Phantom VIs.

TSM failed completely when they researched this car. Instead they are trying to fool people by offering Lennon's Phantom V (which amazingly has its four mirrors located correctly), painted in black and mislabeled as a Phantom VI... :twisted:

There you go...TSM is in the very same league as NEO and the rest...FAILED!!!
-Julio-

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: True Scale Miniatures Miscues!!!

Post by JSB33 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 am

Seems all these companies strive to get things close but don't sweat the final details.
Still, I would rather have a model that has the correct body shape with a few detail mistakes than some of the abominations that NEO has released
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am

JSB33 wrote:Seems all these companies strive to get things close but don't sweat the final details.
I would say that you could forgive a certain amount, as it can be difficult to research older cars, but if Julio has managed it then the information is obviously out there.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 am

guitardave_1 wrote:
JSB33 wrote:Seems all these companies strive to get things close but don't sweat the final details.
I would say that you could forgive a certain amount, as it can be difficult to research older cars, but if Julio has managed it then the information is obviously out there.
I agree if your average collector can find out the detail through searching on the internet surely the companies can find them as well. All we want is a proper replica of the car it represents and the researchers are being paid to find out all this sort of stuff and they've failed badly.

With the prices these days I would says most collectors are examining the models they buy a lot more closely to see if they've been made properly and are of good quality.
Steve

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 am

I took this photo a couple of months ago and I had forgotten to show it to you guys...

This is the chassis of my Silver Shadow I, by TSM:

Very poorly finished for such an expensive model, don't you think? :? Most of my cheap partworks models have better finished chassis!

And, the wheel covers should have a Rolls-Royce logo...

...like on the Corniche...

That Silver Shadow is a model filled with inaccuracies...

The Corniche, on the other hand, is a superbly finished model with no accuracy issues at all. At least none that I'd noticed... :geek:
-Julio-

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:52 am

That shadow really slipped past the QC dept didn't it? Not at all what you expect at TSM prices.

Cheers
Lee

dcast

Post by dcast » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 am

Don't they have to approve the models with the car manufacturers as they're licensed products? Surely the car manufacturer would know the wrong details and have all reference material needed to make them absolutely correct. I don't know why mistakes like these still exist in this day and age?

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:16 pm

dcast wrote:Don't they have to approve the models with the car manufacturers as they're licensed products? Surely the car manufacturer would know the wrong details and have all reference material needed to make them absolutely correct. I don't know why mistakes like these still exist in this day and age?
I wonder if the manufacturers themselves would really notice such tiny details. I would imagine that the marketing people who deal with things like this are hardly as well educated as someone like Julio on the fine details of 35 year old cars. To be honest, as long as they look like a Rolls Royce, and the appropriate royalties get paid, they are probably happy enough.

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:
dcast wrote:Don't they have to approve the models with the car manufacturers as they're licensed products? Surely the car manufacturer would know the wrong details and have all reference material needed to make them absolutely correct. I don't know why mistakes like these still exist in this day and age?
I wonder if the manufacturers themselves would really notice such tiny details. I would imagine that the marketing people who deal with things like this are hardly as well educated as someone like Julio on the fine details of 35 year old cars. To be honest, as long as they look like a Rolls Royce, and the appropriate royalties get paid, they are probably happy enough.
Very often the licensing has nothing to do with the manufacturer, but with their lawyers who are tasked withthese matters.

Cheers
Lee

dcast

Post by dcast » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:31 am

k1w1taxi wrote:
guitardave_1 wrote:
Very often the licensing has nothing to do with the manufacturer, but with their lawyers who are tasked withthese matters.

Cheers
Lee
Ah, ok. They really should hire Julio then to make sure the models are accurate to the last detail of the car they represent :) Lawyers and marketing people do their own thing but it takes experienced car designer to know cars to the last detail. As these are called "scale models", therefore they really should be accurate scale replicas of the real thing and smallest details should be correct as well.
With older cars it is of course possible that if they have some 1:1 sample to study the details, the sample car has wrong details which transfer to the model as well. There they'd need Julio as an expert again to know the correct details ;)

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:39 am

I'm ready to sign the contract! :)

...Oh, that would be a dream job!!! ;)
-Julio-

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Quite alot of discussion over at diecast.org that this paint scheme is wrong for a 54. The contrast below the sweep did not come in until 55 apparently.

Cheers
Lee

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 am

Well Lee, they're correct over at diecast.org, 1954 Buicks did not have a contrasting colour below the sweepspear. And those wheel covers are also wrong. :geek:
-Julio-

Rat

Post by Rat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 am

The rear suspension needs some work too... :twisted:

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:22 am

And... :mrgreen:

...if they're doing a Super or a Roadmaster, they'd better make sure to use wide white walls! :geek:

Hey Jeff, it might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky one, like some of the others... 8-) ...although, being honest, I don't understand why are there sticky threads in this forum... :?

And guys, have you noticed those three threads in Russian or something like that, at the very bottom of this forum?
-Julio-

M4FFU

Post by M4FFU » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Desperately hoping the tyre decals are fixed for this one - very much looking forward to it, as I'd rather this one than the BBR.
Matt.
Bored? Check out my flickr.

Rat

Post by Rat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:10 pm

umpalumpa wrote:Desperately hoping the tyre decals are fixed for this one - very much looking forward to it, as I'd rather this one than the BBR.
They probably used the guts from the #71 car just to show the newly painted body. I don't think Fujimi would screw up like that. Looking at my #71, I'm very happy with the detail and accuracy of the model. The only thing I'd point out, if I was really picky, would be the placement of the Ferrari logo on the front fender. It's a bit off. Considering the fact that the BBR model costs 3 times as much as this, I'd say the Fujimi/TSM Ferraris are a great value.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Want that Dunlop car badly. It must be so cool to have won the livery competition. Go and see 'your' car compete at Le Mans, and then have it immortalised as a model too.

Must have been a long day - I was about to ask what the miscue actually was... :roll: :lol:

M4FFU

Post by M4FFU » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Rat wrote:
umpalumpa wrote:Desperately hoping the tyre decals are fixed for this one - very much looking forward to it, as I'd rather this one than the BBR.
They probably used the guts from the #71 car just to show the newly painted body. I don't think Fujimi would screw up like that. Looking at my #71, I'm very happy with the detail and accuracy of the model. The only thing I'd point out, if I was really picky, would be the placement of the Ferrari logo on the front fender. It's a bit off. Considering the fact that the BBR model costs 3 times as much as this, I'd say the Fujimi/TSM Ferraris are a great value.
Looks for that - reassuring, at the very least. No experience with TSM, but it's a car I really want to add. I don't think the wheels, particularly the rears, are as good on the TSM as the BBR, but if you say the models are great value, then I'll probably opt for the TSM/Fujimi replica. 8-)
Matt.
Bored? Check out my flickr.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 am

Is that 458 out yet?

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Rat

Post by Rat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 am

scalainj wrote:Is that 458 out yet?

Andy
There's one Dunlop 458 on eBay but it's a pre-order so I'm pretty sure it's not out yet... hopefully soon?

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 am

Here's hoping. Will go well with my Vantage

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

sheepCrusher

Post by sheepCrusher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 am

A BBR version is already out and goes for only $125-$135. Haven't figured out this cheaper BBR thing yet. Maybe it is a carryover from the Gasoline line. Already sold out at Replicarz.

Compare:

umpalumpa wrote:Image

Desperately hoping the tyre decals are fixed for this one - very much looking forward to it, as I'd rather this one than the BBR.
The dog wet on the picnic basket

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:09 am

Whilst the BBR will be/is better, and i'm basing that on the TSM 458 i have, it's not that much better, basing that on my BBRs. TSM will be more than adequate

Andy
Andy