JasonPotato's touring car collection

BTCC, WTCC, DTM etc
TouringCarExclusives

Re: JasonPotato's touring car collection

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 am

Just discovered today while working on a couple of models that on the 1991 Listerine BMW M3's, on the dragon it has different coloured antennas. Yellow for Hoy and red for Bellm. Would be nice if there was some clear pictures of this...

Plus on the decal sheet for these models, the sunstrip has a yellow strip on it and no red one for Bellm. Looks like i'll have to hand paint this.

Would be great if someone could find some pictures of these cars to confirm.

Best picture i can find is at the top of this page - http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthr ... ?p=1271524

tator2001uk

Post by tator2001uk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Drop me an email christaylorkarting@ntlworld.com

I have some pics of most touring cars I found once from 1991-2006 I think, most were on a cd somewhere.......

cant say they will be perfect quality as some were taken form sites when I was younger and thought saving phots was big and clever haha

I have some of the 1991 bmw mainly hoy s though
dam most are side on! one does show the hoy windscreen you mntion

chris

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks, im really after a clear picture of the dragon on the bonnet on either car and a front on picture of the Bellm car actually racing.

As far as i can tell, as i've said

Red dragon horns and red sunstrip - Bellm

Yellow dragon horns and yellow sunstrip - Hoy

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:57 am

Things are progressing pretty slowly at the moment but here is one i have now finished. You may recall seeing this before, this is because i have now sorted out all the issues and fixed a minor problem i had with the paint on the rims melting!

Things added are the wheel nuts and just a general touch up on areas like the bonnet where the decal didn't go right to the edges etc.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:43 am

That is a good looking racer. nice
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 am

scalainj wrote:That is a good looking racer. nice
x 2 :)
-Julio-

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks guys.

After finishing that, it has spurred me on to finish the other car i had waiting in the wings. Have spent a good 5 hours on this car today to get it to the point it's at now. I think i may need a lie down :shock:

Sorry for the poor lighting. Will take a decent picture when it's finished early next week while i wait for the paint on the wheels to dry and add all those important touches :)

PDS

Post by PDS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

JasonPotato wrote:Just discovered today while working on a couple of models that on the 1991 Listerine BMW M3's, on the dragon it has different coloured antennas. Yellow for Hoy and red for Bellm. Would be nice if there was some clear pictures of this...
JP.

I think you will find the dragons were different on the 318 Coupes also... Sorry mate!

http://www.touringcarimages.com/p306325 ... #h57a134d0
http://www.touringcarimages.com/p306325 ... #h6e508e31
http://www.touringcarimages.com/p306325 ... #h57a12ec2

PDS

Post by PDS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:05 pm

JasonPotato wrote:Just discovered today while working on a couple of models that on the 1991 Listerine BMW M3's, on the dragon it has different coloured antennas. Yellow for Hoy and red for Bellm. Would be nice if there was some clear pictures of this...

Best picture i can find is at the top of this page - http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthr ... ?p=1271524
Did you notice the Dragon on both the bonnets in post 1 is completely different to the Dragon they used in post 8!

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks for pointing this out but something i am aware of. If you look on my Flickr page and use the 'view all sizes' button on my photos and go to the max which is something like 2500x1900 you'll see the dragon on the Harvey car has red horns to go with the red banner and the Soper car has yellow horns to match the yellow banner.

Here is a good picture of the Baymo decals which i used and believe are the only ones readily available for these models.Now look at the horns. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... TCC_57.jpg

The dragon's themselves are not the most accurate and the colour on the horns are barely visible unlike the ones i used on the 1991 cars. Chris gave me some of the correct dragons to use on those cars, i'm not sure where he got them from but they were far far better.

After actually looking at some half decent pictures of the real cars i have established that the Harvey car had yellow-ish horns with a red banner, Soper had red horns with a yellow banner and Bellm had yellow-ish horns with a blue banner. Make of that as you will but to be honest everything was changed so much throughout the season it's hard to get 100% accuracy.

I will show you the photos i used for comparisons.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/antsphoto/5041597674/ - Harvey
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/galle ... w.jpg.html - Soper
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomackroyd/354071735/ - Bellm

Looking at your links too, it confirms what i said above. Short of hand painting the horns to make them a little more noticeable or getting the correct dragons you can't really do much about it.
Last edited by TouringCarExclusives on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 am

PDS wrote: Did you notice the Dragon on both the bonnets in post 1 is completely different to the Dragon they used in post 8!
Well spotted. That's the difference between the Baymo dragon and the other one i got from Chris. I think if you look at a Motoart or Racing Replicas version of this car they used the older version whereas Baymo used the different one. Hope i'm making sense :)

Also not sure as to why the 1992 cars had different coloured horns to there respective windshields. I'll probably leave mine as they are now unless i can get 2 of those other dragons.

PDS

Post by PDS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:11 am

Now that is interesting!!

Just had a double-check.

I have a Baymo decals sheet for the 91 cars and it has the later dragon on it. BUT the model I bought years ago has the earlier dragon, which I assumed was converted using Baymo decals???

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:32 am

Your model looks remarkably like Chris' version he has which i know was a Sporting images conversion of only 500 made. Maybe a possibility yours is one of those? Dave also has one which looks very close to yours. I would say it's very likely.

Not sure if Sporting Images made the decals for the conversions or used someone elses.

PDS

Post by PDS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 am

The model is pretty much how I got it except for the wheels that I have changed.

KILOHMUNNS

Post by KILOHMUNNS » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 am

PDS wrote:Now that is interesting!!

Just had a double-check.

I have a Baymo decals sheet for the 91 cars and it has the later dragon on it. BUT the model I bought years ago has the earlier dragon, which I assumed was converted using Baymo decals???
Peter, when I bought my original Baymo kit (which got used for something else) I had an additional decal with it (in fact there were 2 of them!)

DSC_0024 by kilohmunns, on Flickr

When I then bought the last sheets and a kit under the Comp43 label (I assume they took on the rights from Baymo) this additional decal didn't come with them.

This was the dragon decal that Matt was talking about and used on the Comp43 kit that he built me.
Chris

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:46 am

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

PDS

Post by PDS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 am

Plus on the decal sheet for these models, the sunstrip has a yellow strip on it and no red one for Bellm. Looks like i'll have to hand paint this.

Just been talking to someone to confirm that the lower pictures taken in the pitlane at Donington was taken in 2004! So that car can be discounted as it is not an original Hoy VLR 91 car although on this occasion it was driven as a demonstration by Will Hoy's nephew.

I am trying to get hold of the guy that did the artwork for the 91 car to see if it did actually change during the 91 season.

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Steve (stevieb123) has just sent me a very interesting photo of both the cars in what looks like the factory. No doubting this is an original photo from 91. Both of which have the older dragon and both with yellow horns!

So it safe to assume that they did differ throughout the season. Just like we discovered with the Audi's.

PDS

Post by PDS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Care to share the photo?

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:21 pm

PDS wrote:Care to share the photo?
Nice that you trust my word ;) Emailed it to you instead.

raystaggs

Post by raystaggs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:15 am

Great thread - I loved the Super Touring era...

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm

raystaggs wrote:Great thread - I loved the Super Touring era...
Thanks, i wish i had more frequent updates for you guys...

TouringCarExclusives

Post by TouringCarExclusives » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks to Chris who gave me his Sporting Images 1991 M3. I finally have this car!

As you can see it wasn't in the greatest of conditions but i knew it had potential. Since then i have replaced the decals on the side and touched up a lot of areas. A lot of work still needs doing as i have only just finished off the one side but i thought i would show off the transformation. The wheels will also need replacing at a later date. The only thing which will remain are the decals on the bonnet and a few others.

Not sure if i can still call this a Sporting Images model anymore.

Both this and the Soper model will be finished soon.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:41 am

Looks a lot better already. nice work
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.