The F1 Ferrari that narrowly escaped the bin

loislois76

The F1 Ferrari that narrowly escaped the bin

Post by loislois76 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:59 am

Hello,

Last week, while speaking with my neighbour, i took a quick look to the things that he was throwing away. There was a lot of trash and scrap but then i saw something that looked like a 1:43 model car box. I asked him if i could check and was surprised that he wanted to throw away a nice Minichamps model. I narrowly saved it!
It is a F1 Ferrari Jean Alesi , but I don’t what model exactly it is.
Here are the photos!
BG
Loislois76

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: The F1 Ferrari that narrowly escaped the bin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:39 am

You sure were at the right place at the right time!

Its always a shame to see a model tossed, I would want to save them all.
In all my years of collecting I have only thrown out one car, it was a 1:18 Hot Wheels Ferrari that I tried to remove some lettering and destroyed the paint.
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:03 am

Not just a Minichamps Ferrari, but a limited edition 'Gode' version. I remember when International Collectors used to go crazy for these 'Gode' versions because I think they were only available in Germany.

Here's an old website with a list of Minichamps models. It sounds like it might be this one "Jean Alesi Ferrari F1-92 Göde Edition – Yellow markings on front spoiler"

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/f1modellis ... rrari.html

20 years on, I'm a little surprised at how simple the details on the car are, but that's still no reason to bin it. It still has it's charms, and I'm sure there are collectors here who'll take it of your hands if it doesn't fit your collection.

It would be interesting to ask your neighbour how he acquired it ? Was it a gift, or did he buy it. Perhaps he has other models ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Good save!

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:31 pm

Lucky diecast, and lucky you! :)
-Julio-

builthatch

Post by builthatch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:59 am

the dude probably just read a "minimize your life" article online and started making bad decisions such as this.

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:31 pm

That Ferrari had no business going into the bin. You prevented a tragic ending for Mr Alesi. :)

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm going to disagree here. If that were a Burago we would all be making fun of it. Yes, I know this was normal Minichamps quality and very good for the time. But it looks like a toy today. Jean Alesi? One win, and not in this car. The car? I think it's a 1992 F92A, one of the worst Ferrari F1 cars. For free, yes I would take it. But only if LaStoria had not done that car yet.

MassaFan

Post by MassaFan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes it's a F92A one of the least successfull Ferraris in F1 history. Don't know about La Storia but HotWheels Elite did a good one of this model. Never been a big Minichmaps fan and this one is as other over 20 year old models not state of the art anymore.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:50 am

The model quality is not comparable to today standards, but I think this is a pretty good looking car.

Regarding the drivers, I also respect most of the drivers who even had the chance to achieve a spot in a Formula 1 grid. The path until F1 is very hard to go over and everyone who gets there already have my respect.

Reaching there and also winning a race? That's outstanding! And Alesi did that.

We also have to remember that F1 can be cruel to drivers, because many great drivers never had the chance to win or to become world champions. Mostly because they weren't at the right spot at the right time, neither had the support from the right people.

Alesi is a driver who always had a "promisse" label, but never had the ride to become a world champion. He did a great job in minor teams, like Tyrrell. If you have a chance, look for the 1990 US Grand Prix in Phoenix. Senna had a tough time to overtake Alesi, who was driving at that time a Tyrrell, which was way worse than the McLaren.

And we can also say he had a pretty successful carreer in F1, since he drove there for more than 10 years continuously.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Serafa wrote:Alesi is a driver who always had a "promisse" label, but never had the ride to become a world champion. He did a great job in minor teams, like Tyrrell.
I can agree with most of your arguments, but drivers get the team they deserve. If he were as good as Senna, he would have gotten on better teams. If he is a journeyman driver who knows how to set up a car and make it last the race then he is good for a middle level team who doesn't expect to run up front. It definitely takes talent to get into Formula 1 and stay there. It also takes someone who can come up with money to run a season.

Sibnce this is not a top level driver or a top level car, and because the model is crude by today's standards, I do not think this is the extraordinary find that some were claiming. But for free it's very nice. I probably would not have taken it, but if it were a better looking LaStoria model then I might because I need it to fill a hole in my collection. I have not seen the LaStoria, it may also look crude. Maybe it's just a very simple looking car.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:58 am

It's hard to believe Alesi's last F1 race was in October 2001- almost 14 years ago.

He also raced twice at Le Mans; in 1989 and 2010. I wouldn't mind adding his 2010 Ferrari 430 to my collection, but it was never modelled as this fell in the void between the licence transition from Redline to Fujimi.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:09 am

Confession first - I was and am an Alesi fan, he did drive for the Red team after all (I even had to like Mansell for a couple of years!)

While I would never put Alesi in the same list as Senna, Schumacher, Vettel, etc he did bring a certain emotion and passion to his racing and for that he will always be in my list of great drivers. For me, I would rather watch Alesi in an under-performing Ferrari than a bland cookie-cutter driver in a car that is better than the others.

I have 3 Alesi F92As, an Onyx and Kyosho bought 20 odd years ago that both have several glaring inaccuracies. However the La Storia version is very good.
Martin

raystaggs

Post by raystaggs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:52 am

Well done for the save - this was one of my first 1/43 models - along with Patrese's Williams 8-)