Early NASCAR

Ralf B.

Early NASCAR

Post by Ralf B. » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:56 pm

A group of 1956 Ford Fairlanes
Glen Wood, Joe Weatherly, Mel Larson, Curtis Turner and Fireball Roberts (clockwise)

Buck Baker's Chevrolet Impala

All made by Quartzo Portugal with almost endearing negligence.
The grilles needed a blackwash, headlights and taillights were drilled out and replaced with cardboard covers.
Windscreen frames are too delicate to remove the cast-on wipers, but at least I could make the sun visors less visible by painting them black.
I highlighted some details on the wheels and side trim with enamel and gave the cars a matt clear coat.

Maybe they will receive a weathering with powder colors - I'll decide that later.

These are simple models compared to Spark racers and others, but the only early NASCAR models I know of.

Cheers
Ralf
“It should have been me, driving that Dynaflow."

Tom

Re: Early NASCAR

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Nice job! I've always liked those Vitesse/Quartzo cars, but those details bring them to another level.

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:42 am

A now defunct grand called Team Caliber (part of the Carousel 1 operation IIRC) did some early NASCARS in the form of Ford Coupes of Buck Baker and Bill France, some Chrysler 300Cs in Keikhofer livery and the Flock Hudsons - which have also been done by a budget brand whose name escapes me.

Cheers
Lee

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:43 am

The Team Caliber cars were great at the time because there were very few 1:43 of non-current NASCAR racers. I believe that this manufacturer was a branch of NASCAR itself. I think they did two series of three cars then called it a day. Two Hudsons, two Chrysler 300s, and the same 1935 Ford appeared in both sets.

I've never thought that NASCAR diecast collectors (of which there are tens of thousands) were very discerning. Things may have improved, but in the mid-1990s they only seemed interested in one-off paint schemes and weren't concerned with the accuracy of the body, or decals or the generic interior shared between makes of cars. Mostly they collected 1:24 and 1:64. There were 1:43 available in discount stores but they were strictly toys. These Team Caliber cars were a step up from the usual 1:43 NASCAR, but the fit of the opening panels is poor and the chrome trim looks fat. If you've ever seen a Franklin Mint 1:43 in person, I would say they were equal. FM may even have produced these models. I don't have any close at hand, but I recall that the interior detail was pretty good. The livery on all the cars seems to be accurate.

There was also a series of 1970 Dodge winged cars from Universal Hobbies. The livery is also very good on these and they look sharp. But they miss significant details like still having door handles and a stock gas cap

There also were lesser 1:43 from Racing Legends and Racing Champions that offer some Seventies cars not available elsewhere, but they are poorly detailed. The racing Legends are plastic with blacked out windows and a chunk of metal inside to add heft. I believe I saw a preview from one of the manufacturers for some winged cars and Spark has been releasing some classic NASCAR. My advice is to skip everything already released and wait for new product.

PS: Universal hobbies also released a few 1964 NASCAR Plymouths. Zinc pest. Avoid them.

jj2728

Post by jj2728 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:40 am

I've been pleased that SPARK has been producing some NASCAR from the '60s, have a few of them myself and would like to see more.