Removing driver figures-

John2007

Removing driver figures-

Post by John2007 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Is there anyone else on this board that doesnt like to display 1/43 F1 cars with driver figures? Sometimes I think the driver figures make the cars look toyish. Thats why I tend to by Brumm F1 models because most of them dont come with figures.

Is it difficult to remove the drivers from Minichamps, Quartzo, or other F1 cars?

jinx

Re: Removing driver figures-

Post by jinx » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

John2007 wrote:Is there anyone else on this board that doesnt like to display 1/43 F1 cars with driver figures? Sometimes I think the driver figures make the cars look toyish. Thats why I tend to by Brumm F1 models because most of them dont come with figures.

Is it difficult to remove the drivers from Minichamps, Quartzo, or other F1 cars?
John,

Oddly, there aren't many (if any - Andy?) F1 collectors here.

For myself, I'm a big F1 fan, but, I've only got a couple of GP cars - a Honda & a Porsche from the early '60s.

If you start a GP thread, you might well have to be exterminated :D - I cannot afford to start on F1 cars (those Spark Shadows & Ligiers are very tempting).

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:22 pm

I have a few but i leave the drivers in

I do know what you mean by looking a little toy like, especially the Quartzo cars but i've not investigated taking them out for fear of damage

Strangely when i make F1 models up until very recently i've always left the driver out, however after making what feels like a battalion of troopers for a 88mm gun which came out pretyy well i've started to include them for those under production.

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 pm

This may be the oldest post dragged up from the depths of the forum. Anyway...

So I was excited about Spark releasing a lot of Pikes Peak cars. However, it seems they all have driver figures in them. :roll: Honestly makes it an easy decision to not buy them. I've just never liked little driver figures in my cars.

So what does everyone else think? Didn't seem to get much response the first time around so maybe we'll have better luck this time.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:44 pm

If I like a release I will buy all versions of it. For example Spark released 3 different 1989 Minardi cars. Realistically the only major difference, apart from some minor sponsor changes, is the drivers. So for me I like the drivers there to clearly differentiate between the cars.

Also when it comes to motorsport I tend to follow drivers more than teams or manufacturers. So again a representation of the driver stands out more for me than a car on its own.

Lastly, and I think of said this on here before, I agree with the great Clive James: Cars without drivers lack personality.

But thats just my opinion.

jj2728

Post by jj2728 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:51 pm

My opinion is that SPARK should leave the F1 cars without driver figures.
Just a personal preference.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 am

The obvious solution is to have driver figures supplied loose that can be put in or left out as the collector wishes.

In the past, its been almost impossible to remove driver figures from the top of the cockpit and they typically need to be removed by unscrewing the base. However, if the 1:1 drivers get in and out through the cockpit, the 1:43 should be able to as well. However, this might need the steering wheels to be removeable as well as per the 1:1.

The alternative is to have a standing figure which can be displayednext to the car like Minichamps have done with some releases. I like this better than the driver figure in the car

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:48 am

I have 150+ F1 models, not surprisingly the majority are Ferraris and Alfa Romeos, and I would fall into the "no driver" category. I tend to agree with the toyish comments, especially on the pre-70s cars as the drivers have open face helmets. The driver's faces on these ones are very toy like and generic.

The ones I don't mind are the newer cars with full face helmets with tinted visors as no facial details are shown. I guess that as helmets are very clear to see on open wheelers, as opposed to being more hidden on Sports and Touring Cars, if they can make them of a similar quality to the car then I may be persuaded that they are OK.
Martin

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 am

John2007 wrote:Is there anyone else on this board that doesnt like to display 1/43 F1 cars with driver figures? Sometimes I think the driver figures make the cars look toyish. Thats why I tend to by Brumm F1 models because most of them dont come with figures.

I agree about the figures and have been saying it for years. If it has a figure standing at the side or something like that it's so much better. The only trouble with removing the figures is that you then need to find a seat to put in it's place.
Steve

David C.

Post by David C. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:56 am

I have done this on a few 1:43 Spark and some 18th scale models, if you decide to do this be prepared to do some bodywork on the seat where the drivers torso is usually glued in, taking the car apart is usually required. If you have modeling skills , go for it, otherwise leave well enough alone, also consider that if you decide to sell in the future most likely the value will be diminished

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:21 am

My preference is to have drivers in the car. But I agree with Alfaholic that the idea works better when they have full face helmets. Even figures standing outside the car look stupid when someone tries to paint features on their face. With '60s and '70s cars, some companies have put balaclavas over their face and that helps. To me, the figures look more natural sitting in the car than posed outside. There are only a few poses that look good, and I have three or four Quartzo World champions that are identical except for uniform patches. I would like to see manufacturers add more civilian drivers to closed cars. It adds life to the scene and they are less susceptible to close scrutiny.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:50 am

Lots of good feedback on my query.

A good compromise if having the figure standing next to the model like Jager showed in the pic of the Minichamps Senna model. The Kennedy car is a different story. For better or worse, that car has to have the people in it; it just wouldn't be the same with them all milling about the plinth. But I also can't help thinking if we're so critical of the accuracy of the model of the car, why would we put up with such horrible looking models of the drivers?

Maybe I should look at the bright side - I would be getting a car and a driver figure for the same price I used to pay for a car with no driver.

But I still don't like the figures. ;) To me it's kind of like going to an auto museum and there are life-size wax figures in all of the cars. No thanks!

jj2728

Post by jj2728 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:26 pm

I haven't tried removing any driver figures from the SPARK models in my collection, but I'll retract my statement from the other day and having thought about it, I actually do like the driver figures in some of the cars. The modern eff1 cars look very good with a driver figure.
The older cars less so and that's because the figures themselves look toy like and the flesh color is often, if not always, horrendous. But, I'm a figure builder, in addition to modelling 1/43rd kits and military dioramas, and work with oil paints to achieve as much of a life like look that I can. The HOT WHEELS Ferraris were fairly easy to convert, remove the driver figure and replace it with another for a vignette. One thing though, you'll need proper modelling tools and be prepared to re-do the seat. I've attached a few pics of some conversions (sold to collectors) that I've done over the years to show what can be accomplished. The Schumacher figure is a white metal kit from DENIZEN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.