what brand of bus is this?

Baxter

what brand of bus is this?

Post by Baxter » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:02 am

Does anyone know their buses well enough to tell me what this transporter was in its previous life?

Jager

Re: what brand of bus is this?

Post by Jager » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:12 am

The bus was owned by Englishman Paul Vestey and his 'Vestey Equipe' in the 1960's. I read it was nicknamed Hannibal due to the number of times it had crossed the Alpes, but I don't know what type of bus it was. I assume it was British, so probably an AEC or something similar.

Here's a couple more pictures from Le Mans in 1968 which you may have already seen.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:12 pm

The window arrangement on that transporter is quite distinctive. With a bit of Googling I came up with these :

It appears these are 1955 - 56 AEC Reliance MU3RV's. My understanding is that in England, a chassis builder like AEC would supply a bare chassis to a bodybuilder who would build up the body, so each one is different.

I don't think anyone has done this in 1:43.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Jager wrote:It appears these are 1955 - 56 AEC Reliance MU3RV's. My understanding is that in England, a chassis builder like AEC would supply a bare chassis to a bodybuilder who would build up the body, so each one is different.
Thank you for sorting that out. I had hoped to find a 1:43 of some decent quality and build a transport for the Best Ferrari 275 GTB I have from Vestey's 1967 season. Your findings indicate that this project may remain out of reach. I enjoy seeing the different types of vehicles pressed into service in the days before racing became a polished business. Buses are an obvious choice but I rarely find a full length color picture of one that was used. With all of those windows Vestey must have had lots of natural light to work on the car while staying out of the sun and rain.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Here's my favourite bus based transporter Baxter : Joest's 1983 Mercedes whichcarried their Porsche 956.

Maybe there is a 1:43 bus that could be converted ? This Minichamps isn't correct, but is probably the closest I've found. If you enclose the last window, and lift the position of the drivers window, you'd be getting close.

Perhaps there is something else available from Norev or Schuco ?

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Which brings on the next issue: would an 1:43 956 fit inside that bus?

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:51 am

If they're both 1:43, in theory they should. I have a couple of Minichamps 1:43 Mercedes trucks and 1:43 cars comfortably fit in the back of those.