1994 Bathurst Winner

BTCC, WTCC, DTM etc
Jager

1994 Bathurst Winner

Post by Jager » Fri May 16, 2014 10:29 am

The 1990s saw a raft of changes being made in the Australian motor racing scene. Early in the decade, the Australian motorsport body CAMS introduced new rules which saw the popular Group A category of touring car racing replaced with a more locally focused V8 formula. This change effectively forced the Ford teams to switch their machinery from their successful Ford Sierra RS500 race cars to the bigger V8 EB Falcons.

DJR ’s assault on Bathurst in 1994 came after extensive development and preparation of the DJR EB5 Chassis with only one goal in mind - to win Bathurst. The Bathurst car was chassis DJR EB5 that was debuted as John Bowe's car No. 18 at the Eastern Creek ATCC round and it remained as car No. 18 for the remainder of the ATCC. However, the car was rarely a frontrunner and Bowe's best result in the ATCC was a 3rd place finish at the 9th round at Barbagallo Raceway. DJR then rested the car for the Sandown 500 before it was prepared for Bathurst where it carried Johnson's No. 17.

At Bathurst, DJR surprised most by setting the 3rd fastest qualifying time. However, things didn’t go so well for the No. 17 Falcon in the Top 10 shootout to decide the starting grid. With Dick Johnson at the wheel, the car clipped the wall at the top of the mountain and recorded a time almost a second slower than its best qualifying lap, posting the slowest time in shootout. John Bowe, who took the wheel at the start, was therefore forced to start from 10th place on the grid.

From the start, the race conditions we’re nothing short of terrible, with the wet and wild weather making life for the drivers very difficult. Despite this, the experienced paring of Bowe and Johnson were quickly at the front of the pack, where they remained for most of the day.

As the race approach the end, the changeable conditions and the long grind of 1000 kilometres meant there were just two contenders with a serious shot at victory; established veteran John Bowe aboard the No. 17 Falcon, and the then-20-year-old rookie Craig Lowndes in the Holden Racing Team's second-string Commodore.

It wasn’t until a late race Safety Car was called to make things truly interesting, setting up a 17-lap flat-out sprint to the end between the old buck and the young turk. As they charged up Mountain Straight on lap 148 Bowe covered to the inside. As millions of eyes watch TV screens around the country, Lowndes did the unimaginable: he outbraked and passed Bowe around the outside into Griffins Bend.

Lowndes lead lasted just two laps when a clumsy backmarker allowed the cool and experienced Bowe who maintained calm under pressure to retake the lead, and seal the victory in the 1994 Tooheys Bathurst 1000,

The winning time of 7hour, 3minutes 45sec was the slowest since 1976, reflecting the difficult weather conditions on the day.

Car : 1994 #17 Ford Falcon EB
Team : Dick Johnson Racing
Drivers : Dick Johnson & John Bowe
Grid : 10th
Result : 1st
Model : Biante (BR43602A - 1,100 pieces)

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jager

Re: 1994 Bathurst Winner

Post by Jager » Sat May 30, 2015 4:24 pm

When I was back home in Australia last month I picked up two more Bathurst winners.

John Goss and Kevin Bartlett in the McLeod Ford were one of only three Falcon's were entered for the 1974 Bathurst 1000.

They qualified third fastest, but on race day had a bad start and fell back to sixth on the opening laps. However the other two Falcon's ran into problems early and by half distance Goss and Bartlett were up to third place, three laps behind the Bond/Skelton and Brock/Sampson Torana’s.

The race then underwent a dramatic change as rain began to drench the circuit. First, Colin Bond was black-flagged for dropping oil from his Torana, dropping out of contention. This promoted Goss and Bartlett to second, behind Peter Brock, but his Torana also blew its motor handing the lead to the Goss Falcon.

Twenty laps from the end, John Goss handed the car over to Kevin Bartlett to finish the race. He drove masterfully in the wet conditions, holding off a late charge from the Holden Torana of Bob Forbes and Wayne Negus. New Zealand drivers Jim Richards and Rod Coppins finished third, five laps down in another Holden Torana.

Car : 1974 #5 Ford XA Falcon GT Hardtop
Team : McLeod Ford
Drivers : John Goss and Kevin Bartlett
Qualifying : 3rd
Model : Autoart for Biante (67412 : 1,200 pieces)

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat May 30, 2015 4:42 pm

40 years later, Ford again took victory at Bathurst. The 2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 was won by the No. 6 Ford Performance Racing Ford Falcon FG driven by Chaz Mostert and Paul Morris, ahead of Nissan Motorsport's James Moffat and Taz Douglas in a Nissan Altima, and the James Rosenberg Racing's Nick Percat and Oliver Gavin in a Holden VF Commodore.

As the race unfolded, there was drama when Shane van Gisbergen, who led for the majority of the race, was tragically denied a first Bathurst title when his car failed to start after a late pitstop. This allowed Jamie Whincup to assume the lead from Mark Winterbottom, only for Winterbottom to spin out soon afterwards.

With nine laps to go, Russell Ingall's collision with the wall meant another safety car was required, allowing the front pack to bunch up ahead of the race's restart. The race became a shoot-out between Whincup and Mostert, with Whincup desperately trying to manage his fuel with an increasingly quick Mostert breathing down his neck. Ultimately, Mostert's extra fuel gave him the opportunity to pass Whincup on the final lap.

Mostert and Morris had to come from the back of the grid to take their victory after Mostert's qualifying time was excluded for passing under red flags. It was therefore the first time the first time the race had been won by a team that started from last place on the grid.

Car : 2014 #6 Ford FG Falcon
Team : Ford Performance Racing
Drivers : Chaz Mostert and Paul Morris
Qualifying : 26th (excluded from 14th).
Model : Classic Carlectables (206-18 : 1,500 pieces)

ljplemans

Post by ljplemans » Sat May 30, 2015 4:51 pm

I like the MAX Ford...especially the wheels.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:15 pm

No interior for the MAX car? :(

Great looking models Ian!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Loving the Mad Max Falcon!

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Sat May 30, 2015 9:32 pm

My favourite is the first falcon because of the livery.
Lars

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:07 am

2914 car is very appeling.
I succumbed and bought a few 1:18 cars like this when i was collecting that scale, I better watch myself in 1:43 :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Sun May 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Paulius43 wrote:No interior for the MAX car? :(
Correct all Classic Carlectables contemporary 1:43 (and 1:64) models have the blacked out windows, a return to their roots as the first 4 or five years production were like this. It is done as a cost cutting measure which works as their models are approximately half the price of an Apex 1:43 (I would also add Biante but we haven't seen any 1:43 new castings from them for a few years now). Problem for me is that I didn't like the lack of detail 20 years ago and I still don't like it now. Still won't be a problem for long as CC now only have the rights to RedBull Racing Australia (888 Racing) and Prodrive (ex FPR) and both of these will require updates soon which I can't see CC investing in.

Ian, you forgot one another minor point about Gossy and KB's victory. Bartlett was actually on crutches throughout that weekend as he was still recovering from a major shunt in his Lola T332 earlier in the year and could barely walk. This model is a cracker and a definite improvement on my old Dinkum version.
Re: 2014 No tragedy about van Gitsbergen at all if he ends up being the Holden version of Glenn Seton that will be fine with me - and many other Kiwis I know. The Stone Brothers thing will always rankle. As for Chaz and Morris it was quite funny listening to the commentators going on and on towards the end about how Whincup would be the furthest back in the field a winner had come from (they started 2nd last) all while Chaz was catching him hand over fist and with superior fuel, no word from the commentators about Chaz's starting position until after the flag fall.

Cheers
Lee

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:08 pm

The 2014 race was one of the most weird and exciting races I've ever seen. How often do you see the top two on the podium after both cars having crashed early in the race? I actually watched the race twice as it was hard to take in everything the first time.

I was gutted for Scotty in the Volvo and Shane in the Holden as they were the most dominant throughout the race. Whincup just ignored the team and lost the win, although I think Mostert would have passed him earlier if Whincup was conserving fuel as the team were yelling at him to do.
Steve

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:53 pm

ljplemans wrote:I like the MAX Ford...especially the wheels.
Agree LJP.....I wish more racing teams would use colour coded wheels.

Great looking models Ian!
Paulius, Lee explained it well. Classic Calectables totally missed the mark and every Australian V8 collector I know would prefer to pay a few dollars more for a properly detailed car. When these were first announced I said to myself 'never', but as these are the only way to get the 2014 winner and the blacked out windows strangely tie in with the windows, I gave in . But I'm still not happy :x .
reeft1 wrote:Loving the Mad Max Falcon!
Reeft, the Ford Falcon coupes have always had a cult following, long before Mad Max.
rotormotor wrote:My favourite is the first falcon because of the livery.
Cheers Lars. Do you have one of these heading for Waiwhetu ?
JSB33 wrote:2914 car is very appeling.

I succumbed and bought a few 1:18 cars like this when i was collecting that scale, I better watch myself in 1:43 :lol:
Looks like your fingers were working faster than your brain Jeff (I have the same problem ;) ). I guess you meant the 2014 car was appealing. There are enough of us here to help if you want one in 1:43.
k1w1taxi wrote:
Correct all Classic Carlectables contemporary 1:43 (and 1:64) models have the blacked out windows, a return to their roots as the first 4 or five years production were like this. It is done as a cost cutting measure which works as their models are approximately half the price of an Apex 1:43 (I would also add Biante but we haven't seen any 1:43 new castings from them for a few years now). Problem for me is that I didn't like the lack of detail 20 years ago and I still don't like it now. Still won't be a problem for long as CC now only have the rights to RedBull Racing Australia (888 Racing) and Prodrive (ex FPR) and both of these will require updates soon which I can't see CC investing in.

Ian, you forgot one another minor point about Gossy and KB's victory. Bartlett was actually on crutches throughout that weekend as he was still recovering from a major shunt in his Lola T332 earlier in the year and could barely walk. This model is a cracker and a definite improvement on my old Dinkum version.
Re: 2014 No tragedy about van Gitsbergen at all if he ends up being the Holden version of Glenn Seton that will be fine with me - and many other Kiwis I know. The Stone Brothers thing will always rankle. As for Chaz and Morris it was quite funny listening to the commentators going on and on towards the end about how Whincup would be the furthest back in the field a winner had come from (they started 2nd last) all while Chaz was catching him hand over fist and with superior fuel, no word from the commentators about Chaz's starting position until after the flag fall.

Cheers
Lee
Thanks Lee. I didn't know the story about KB being on crutches, but that adds another dimension to his accomplishments in the closing stages of the '74 race. I was 10 at the time, so this was around the beginning of my interest in Bathurst, getting up early in Perth to watch the race on my parents Black & White TV.

The 2014 race was crazy. I think everyone was happy for Chaz, but Morris was the last person most people wanted to see on the top step of the podium.
thetrooper wrote:The 2014 race was one of the most weird and exciting races I've ever seen. How often do you see the top two on the podium after both cars having crashed early in the race? I actually watched the race twice as it was hard to take in everything the first time.

I was gutted for Scotty in the Volvo and Shane in the Holden as they were the most dominant throughout the race. Whincup just ignored the team and lost the win, although I think Mostert would have passed him earlier if Whincup was conserving fuel as the team were yelling at him to do.
I agree Steve, in theory no one should be able to come from last place in a field of 26 cars to win.

I think Whincup realized there was no way he could win by conserving fuel, so figured the best option was to try and build a gap that he could then defend. Full credit to him for his gutsy 'all or nothing' approach. As they say, no-one ever remembers who came second.

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:25 am

Jager wrote:
I think Whincup realized there was no way he could win by conserving fuel, so figured the best option was to try and build a gap that he could then defend. Full credit to him for his gutsy 'all or nothing' approach. As they say, no-one ever remembers who came second.
The other thing I liked about it was that despite his reputation as Whingecup, Jamie totally owned the decision and it's consequences.

Cheers
Lee

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:36 am

Jager wrote:
rotormotor wrote:My favourite is the first falcon because of the livery.
Cheers Lars. Do you have one of these heading for Waiwhetu
No. plenty other cars are though...PLENTY :shock:
Last edited by rotormotor on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lars

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 am

Great looking racers! The older the better, as far as I'm concerned...

raystaggs

Post by raystaggs » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:26 am

I like this thread - is there no other option for the Pepsi Max cars than CC?
I'd love a Frosty 2015 in 1/43....

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 am

Great models - I am sorely tempted by a winning Ford at Bathurst collection, but the price of some of the 1/43's these days having missed out when they first were issued would make this a very expensive new venture.

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:14 am

raystaggs wrote:I like this thread - is there no other option for the Pepsi Max cars than CC?
I'd love a Frosty 2015 in 1/43....
Sorry but one last year of the Bricks for FPR fans

Cheers
Lee

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Does the DJR Falcon have the racecam in the passenger seat area?

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:47 am

Not sure Matt - I don't think so. I'll check it when I get home tonight.

Edit, here's the best close up picture I could manage Matt. The 'race cam' should be in the passenger seat, but as you can see there is no camera there :

R32Dave

Post by R32Dave » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Jager wrote:When I was back home in Australia last month I picked up two more Bathurst winners.

John Goss and Kevin Bartlett in the McLeod Ford were one of only three Falcon's were entered for the 1974 Bathurst 1000.

They qualified third fastest, but on race day had a bad start and fell back to sixth on the opening laps. However the other two Falcon's ran into problems early and by half distance Goss and Bartlett were up to third place, three laps behind the Bond/Skelton and Brock/Sampson Torana’s.

The race then underwent a dramatic change as rain began to drench the circuit. First, Colin Bond was black-flagged for dropping oil from his Torana, dropping out of contention. This promoted Goss and Bartlett to second, behind Peter Brock, but his Torana also blew its motor handing the lead to the Goss Falcon.

Twenty laps from the end, John Goss handed the car over to Kevin Bartlett to finish the race. He drove masterfully in the wet conditions, holding off a late charge from the Holden Torana of Bob Forbes and Wayne Negus. New Zealand drivers Jim Richards and Rod Coppins finished third, five laps down in another Holden Torana.

Car : 1974 #5 Ford XA Falcon GT Hardtop
Team : McLeod Ford
Drivers : John Goss and Kevin Bartlett
Qualifying : 3rd
Model : Autoart for Biante (67412 : 1,200 pieces)

That Falcon is a beaut Ian.
I have a soft spot for Bathurst - I have not been there but have a fair idea of the layout from Gran Turismo 6(I know its not the same but gives you a fair idea these days). It looks like one of those tracks where you have to be 'on' all the time or its curtains for your race.
I watch Youtube vis of the historic series they have going over there across Aus and the selection of classic V8s is awesome.
My 4WD Subaru has all the gizmos to hold things together in the wet(probably a good thing on public roads!)
It would be nice to turn off the dif and let the back end step out a bit with a V8 underfoot though ;)
D

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:42 am

Jager wrote:Not sure Matt - I don't think so. I'll check it when I get home tonight.

Edit, here's the best close up picture I could manage Matt. The 'race cam' should be in the passenger seat, but as you can see there is no camera there :

Damn, that's unfortunate. If it had the RaceCam I would have picked it up for sure, even though I'm definitely not a fan of the blue oval.